What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZGT Fuze

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Is this made by Hungary? Or can someone tell me what the markings mean.

Joe

Attachments

• 1-090415101322.jpeg
    1-090415101322.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 80
It be Russian as far as I can tell.

Attachments

• ZGT (ЗГТ ) Fuze Diagram - 2.jpg
    ZGT (ЗГТ ) Fuze Diagram - 2.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Yeah …. I have it as Russian as well, but the W in the circle I have as Hungarian. So I thought maybe it was made in Hungary. But I could be wrong based on the other markings, which outside the nomenclature I am not sure of. Maybe 1916 date LOT 9.

Joe

This is from page 62 of the 1940 Russian publication 'The Historical Outline of the Development of Fuzes of the First World War 1914-1918' (Исторический Очерк Развития Трубок и Взрывателей от Начала их Применения до Конца Мировой Войны 1914—1918 гг.).

Для изготовления опытных образцов взрывателей комиссия не имела никакой производственной базы и должна была заказывать их малыми партиями Трубочному заводу, для которого эти работы, сосредоточенные при механической мастерской, являлись обремени*тельными. Лишь в 1907 г. комиссии была предоставлена на Трубоч*ном заводе отдельная комната с четырьмя старыми токарными стан*ками и шестью рабочими. На этих станках были выработаны взры* ватели типов 3ГТ и 4ГТ.

Just stick it into Google translate.

According to the 1940 document, the 3GT (3ГТ) fuze was used with 76 mm and 107 mm gun ammunition, of which a total of 6,973,000 rounds were produced!

For note, the earlier diagram was from the Russian 1952 publication 'Artillery Course - Volume II - Ammunition, Propellant and Explosives' (Курс Артиллерии - Том II - Боеприпасы, Пороха и Взрывчатые Вещества).

As to the markings, I haven't checked, well other than its 3GT (three 'G' 'T'), not ZGT.

Last edited:
A lot of them were made in the US by different companies like Westinghouse. It may be one of them. They had more than four old lathes and six workers :)

Last edited:
Kind of off topic while we discuss the markings more, but how do you know when to use the 3 or Z? I put one things down, then come on here and find out I was wrong.

Joe

The 1913 Russian artillery manual shows it to be the number 3 fuse, so I believe 3GT is the correct designation. It was the standard fuse for TNT filled 3 inch high explosive shells.

The 1913 Russian artillery manual shows it to be the number 3 fuse, so I believe 3GT is the correct designation. It was the standard fuse for TNT filled 3 inch high explosive shells.

The fact that there are 4GT and 6GT fuzes (not fuses), along with the shape of the first character makes it far more likely the fuze (not fuse) designation is 3GT (3ГТ) and not ZGT (ЗГТ).

And yes, it's 3.G.T (3.Г.Т.) in the 1913 manual, which reminds me I've not OCR'ed it yet? I must admit I don't tend to bother with stuff this old. This mainly as it's so rare I need to add older stuff (pre-WWI and WWI) to the munitions database I work on.

You can find the 3.G.T and their associated 3 inch HE shells in the US. I think it is safe to say some number of them were manufactured in the US for Russia during the first World War.

Does anyone know what the W in the circle means then? Is there a US manufacturer associated with that marking?

Joe

I can supply a picture of my 3 G T that I believe was made in the US.

Attachments

• Russian 3 G T fuse.jpg
    Russian 3 G T fuse.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 29
I can supply a picture of my 3 G T that I believe was made in the US.

I beliefe the same because it has a non cyrillic manufacturer (like the W stamped fuze) and both share the same acceptance? stamp.

As for the "W" it may be Westinghouse as written before. Here a picture of french VB-Rifle grenade production at Westinghouse Co. Anyone has seen such a VB grenade in reality?

Attachments

• 165-WW-593A-063.jpg
    165-WW-593A-063.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 165-WW-593A-063_detail.jpg
    165-WW-593A-063_detail.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 36