What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZSU-23 before and after

Fred

I recently obtained a rather scruffy ZSU-23 round made up from a spent case and an unfired projectile and thought I would give it a quick clean up. I removed the laquer and soaked it in "shield" rust remover overnight. After that I cleaned up some of the mechanical damage caused by loading and extraction but didnt remove the marks caused by firing in a fluted chamber. The best way that I found to replicate the green laquer used on russian cases was to add a little humbrol green paint to clear spirit based varnish and spray it on with an airbrush. It took about four coats to get the desired effect. Overall, its almost as good as new.

Fred
23x152b.jpg

P1040316.JPG

Great job ,its quite hard to get a decent lacquer type finish, i usually just leave it!

cheers
Bob

The projectile is a Czech TP for the 23x115. The Russians never used white tips on 23x152B service ammunition.

Thanks for the comments folks.
Im inclined to agree with EOD about the projectile. I weighed it and its too heavy to be for the ZU-23.

Fred