What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question about F1

jhonni \

Question to French colleagues and other experts.
As though I didn't search for the information, but find the answer to a question: "Why grenade F-1 is called so", I haven't found. Delhome hasn't opened that question.
I think that name F-1 is from the French word "Fragmentation" and has the full name "grenade a fragmentation model 1".
What do you think about?
May be you got an information from manual's from WW1 about??

Thank's all!

Eugene.

Last edited:
Question to French colleagues and other experts.
As though I didn't search for the information, but find the answer to a question: "Why grenade F-1 is called so", I haven't found. Delhome hasn't opened that question.
I think that name F-1 is from the French word "Fragmentation" and has the full name "grenade a fragmentation model 1".
What do you think about?
May be you got an information from manual's from WW1 about??

Thank's all!

Eugene.

Hello Eugene, how are you? I hope all is well. This is a good question you ask. I have been collecting now for couple years all the different F1 body markings and shapes I can find, so I also have interest in this question you ask also.

I agree, I think what you have said "Fragmentation Model#1 " is probably what "F-1" designation means. The word "Fragment" is the same in English and French I believe, so this connection of "F" and "Fragmentation" makes sense. There is also the word "Fissurer" that means to crack or break. Maybe one of our French friends, or someone with old document or manual will confirm exact meaning of "F-1"

Regards, Steve
Dr.Ruby

Hello guys
I wander if it could be as simple as the desegnation frag # 1.
vinny :tinysmile_classes_t

Of1

Where I get confused is the French WW1 OF1 (Offensive F1) which is an offensive blast grenade and not the fragmentation type yet it carries the F1 part of the designation. Unless at the time it was just to simplify the nomenclature as the OF1 came out a tad later than the F1. Just food for thought....Dano

Last edited:
I'm going by the early Delhomme book Grenades of World War One which calls the offensive unit the OF1. I realize the bok is somewhat dated but still my main reference...Dan

Hello

For me, it's much more simple.

Like Mk 1 for the british materials, F 1 means something like "Fabrication 1" or "Forme 1" . Then it's the sequencial type of a material.

For axample:
The reglementar sniper rifle today is the "FR-F2" (Repeating Rifle model F2) . And before it was the "FR-F1" (Repeating Rifle model F1) .

The "Mirage F1" is the predecessor of the plane "Mirage F2"

==

The conclusion's:
1. "F-1" is a designation of model - "Fabrication #1"?
2. And how to be with "OF" and "DF"? This is an "Offensive Fabrication #1", "Defensive Fabrication #1"? It is correct?
.. or preferably a term - "Form" instead of "Fabrication"?
:)

I wonder what is correct. Is a confirmation from doc's (factory schemes, diagrams, design drawing)?
Very interesting ..

Thank's

Eugene.

Last edited:
Hello

For me, it's much more simple.

Like Mk 1 for the british materials, F 1 means something like "Fabrication 1" or "Forme 1" . Then it's the sequencial type of a material.

For axample:
The reglementar sniper rifle today is the "FR-F2" (Repeating Rifle model F2) . And before it was the "FR-F1" (Repeating Rifle model F1) .

The "Mirage F1" is the predecessor of the plane "Mirage F2"

==

I agree with this.

Interesting thread. I think this "Fabrication 1" or "Forme 1" theory sounds very good also.
As Eugene said "I wonder what is correct. Is a confirmation from doc's (factory schemes, diagrams, design drawing)?

I also wonder the exact meaning and what is correct. Maybe a "Patent drawing" would have the answer also. Maybe someone knows if the F1 grenade was issued a Patent.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I think this "Fabrication 1" or "Forme 1" theory sounds very good also.
As Eugene said "I wonder what is correct. Is a confirmation from doc's (factory schemes, diagrams, design drawing)?

I also wonder the exact meaning and what is correct. Maybe a "Patent drawing" would have the answer also. Maybe someone knows if the F1 grenade was issued a Patent.

The correct meaning of the 'F' is 'fusante' cf. La grenade F1 (fusante n1)
Fusante means fuzed.

See: http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/decouvertes/english_grenades_fr.html

Last edited:
You are meaning French "FUSANTE #1" on english as a "Time Delay grenade #1 (With time delay automatic fuze)"? is that so?

Eugene.

I just mean that the 'F' stands for Fusante (on french grenades)

eg: OF stands for Offensive Fusante ; DF stands for defensive Fusante

and keeping in mind that the (french) F1's correct denomination is DF1...

so, yes i believe that 'fusante' can be translated in English as 'equipped with automatic time delay fuze)

Attachments

• Grenade dfensive fusante.pdf
    113.4 KB · Views: 20
Hi

I come back after reflexion, for the question "what means F1".

I think that the signification during the WW1, concerning the hand grenades is different from the signification today in the french army.

Today : fabrication or forme 1, 2, ...

During the WW1 :
grenade F1 can signifiate grenade Fragmentation model 1 , or like said Fusante 1
grenade P1 , grenade Percussion model 1
etc ...

Last edited:
Yep! I'm at a deadlock too now.

Fusante, Fragmentation, Form, Fabrique #1.... WHERE IS A TRUTH!?

:)

p.s.
To be or not to be.....
Many peoples many opinion's.

Need the historical expert- archivist.

Eugene.