What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoke generator no 8

Thank you guys for the response. Does someone knows the total weight of the No. 8 Smoke Generator, and how was the igniting of the Mk I, II and III. Was this also only safety Fuse?

Greetings - Antoon

Last edited:
Mk I is 4.25 pounds and all the others, up to and including Mk V are 4.5 pounds.
I do not have data for later marks.

I find that I have more information on the No 8 Mk 6 from the 1950s. Only a rough filling weight of 3.5 pounds is given.

Historically, from the 1943 reference, the diameter of all from Mk I to Mk 5 inc. is given as 4.09 inches. This was a standard so that all empty bodies could be used with the common Discharger Smoke Generator if necessary, even though some were dedicated for use as Rear Smoke Emitters. The Rear Smoke Emitters were loosely contained in a box at the rear of the tank so diameter was not critical.

There were several different heights, mainly caused by the central fittings (igniters or no igniters).
The 1956 reference says the outer is a cup 4 inches high and 4 inches in diameter.

The Mk I was used with the discharger only and was projected by a Cartridge Discharger Smoke Generator .303 inch E Mk I T. This Gen. was already obsolete by 1943.
Mks II and III were used with the discharger and were projected by the Cartridge .303 Ballistite H Mk Iz. All discharged Gens. were also ignited by the cartridge on firing.
Marks III* and Mk IV * differed from their parent marks by the introduction of a faster burning filling.
Mk IV was for use with the discharger.
Mk V was for use with the rear smoke emitter.

Mks III** and Mk IV* were both conversions from the discharger role to the emitter role by fitting an Igniter Electric G60, which accounts for their respective height changes.
A kit was provided with the igniter already set into a moulded adapter and was positioned with an adhesive by ordnance services.

The heights given in inches up to 1943 were: Mk I = 5.95 ; MkII = 3.75; Mk III = 3.75 ; MkIII* = 3.75 ; Mk III** = 4.12 ; Mk IV = 4.0 ; Mk IV* = 4.12 ; Mk V = 3.90.

Last edited:
A partial reiteration of the above, but with diagram.

TimG

View attachment 114793View attachment 114795View attachment 114794

Great thread, and some very useful information - thanks.

Am hoping perhaps someone can help me out, even though a few years have passed.

I want to make some resin replicas of the No8 mk5 to go into the rear smoke dispenser on a Sherman Firefly (Restoration project details - www.facebook.com/T289477)

The photos and documents on this post and others from various google sources almost give me what I need, however I do not have sufficient detail for the Electric Igniter G.60. The image posted in the thread isnt quite high enough resolution.

Does anyone here have either a No8 smoke generator complete with the electric igniter, or just the electric igniter piece separately they would be happy to share good high resolution photos of please?

From the previous post by Madbomber31, it is this piece...

Smoke8-3.jpg

An original empty/sectioned No8 Smoke generator pot and the igniter part would or course be very handy if anyone knows of any for sale please... easier to mould an original than make one from scratch using images.

I am aiming at museum spec replicas, hence the need for high res photos or original components.

Many thanks

Tim