What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

13pdr HE

Thank you very much for all your information i am glad its the right case for the shell,
Regards
Andy

13pr primer

Primer for this case would be a No.1 which is quite short, ie no extended magazine. From Doctor's info looks like I've got the wrong shell in my 13pr9cwt case with the wrong fuze, b****r, luckily I've a spare 13pr case. Also I've a used aluminium bodied no.80 but its not marked with anything at all so it might not be an 80 anyway. As if lifes not complicated enough. 2pr

Hi 2pr, that's ok i have been wrong many times there is so much to learn and imposable to know it all, that aluminium fuse would look better on my shell lol:tinysmile_shy_t: , and many thanks to Doc for all his information your a star.
Regards
And

Primer

Waff sent me a primer that fit's a treat well done that man :tinysmile_shy_t:.
Best Regards
Andy

Attachments

• Primer.jpg
    Primer.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 20
Is that primer unmarked? It also looks to have no cap in place. If it's unmarked, it could be an unfinished one that was liberated from the factory.

It is unmarked and has no primer cap in it so it could very well be a unfinished one.
Andy

Last edited:
I never realised that 13 pounders were so complicated with all sorts of adapters/fuzes etc.
I've dug mine out.
Is the primer and fuze and primer correct?
It all came together like that.

The fuze is marked:

80 . III DF I (Crowsfoot) 123 3/14

Photos attached.

INERT of course.

Dave.

Attachments

• 13 pounder 001.jpg
    13 pounder 001.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 13 pounder 002.jpg
    13 pounder 002.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 13 pounder 003.jpg
    13 pounder 003.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 13 pounder 004.jpg
    13 pounder 004.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 13 pounder 006.jpg
    13 pounder 006.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 28
Thanks guys.
BD what's the letters for the dum dum foundary? Is it the "DF" on the fuze?
Dave.

Indian 13-Pdr.

Very nice round SG500. As you say, the mark for Dum-Dum Factory was the DF. I see that although the case appears to have been made by the Royal Laboratory at Woolwich Arsenal, it also has the KF mark of Kirkee Factory on it. Could it have been shipped to India to be loaded? I also see that the primer, in addition to the DF mark, also has a "Co" mark with the Indian mark of "Arrow-over-I". Is this the mark for Cossipore Arsenal?
R.

As far as I am aware the 'arrow over I' denotes 'British' Indian production, with the abbreviation for the foundry (DF, KF, CO, etc) appearing beside it.

It is most likely that the case and original primer were made in England shipped out and reworked at Kirkee after being used, and primer replaced. Note the later date on the primer. It also looks like the projectile might have been made at Cossipore - is that 'Co' before the date Dave?

BD