What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Depleated Uranium

WOW getting technical now - so with my basic maths would I be right in calculating:
Number of hours in a year is about 8766 hours
Number of microsieverts in a year would be 8766 x .67 = 5873 microsieverts
Divide by 1000 to get to millisieverts = 5.873
so........you could sit next to one of these every hour all year and still only be exposed to a quarter of the permitted dosage of a radiation worker.
It puts it all into perspective.
Dave.

My understanding has always been that the risk of Radiation poisoning is minimal, you are more at risk from "Heavy Metal poisoning" as you would be from Lead, Mercury etc. I handled quite a lot of the raw material delivering it to ROF Birtley and still have the warning Placard that was carried in my Cab.

DU.jpg
My understanding has always been that the risk of Radiation poisoning is minimal, you are more at risk from "Heavy Metal poisoning" as you would be from Lead, Mercury etc. I handled quite a lot of the raw material delivering it to ROF Birtley and still have the warning Placard that was carried in my Cab.

Here it is, made of 6mm hardened Steel weighing a couple of Kilos and kept in the Vehicle in case of Fire so the emergency services knew what they were dealing with in the event of a clean up. I have blocked off the emergenct contact phone number with a .50Cal Pen, I know ROF Birtley has gone but the Phone number might still be active so wont risk it.

This recently popped up in my Instagram feed and thought it might be relevent to the thread.
Screenshot_20220719-151215_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20220801-223338_Instagram.jpg