What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very rare WWI German MIN grenade

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Got this at a show today, the only piece of ordnance I found. Guy said he had ID'd it himself as a very rare WWI German grenade, he took a photo from a book of the missing handle and had a replacement made exactly like the original shown in the book.

I spent 20 minutes trying to explain that it was not WWI, or German, or a grenade, but he was having none of it. A rare piece like this is worth some serious money.

Since I'd found nothing else at the show I had to take something home - but which shelf do I put it on?

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/new-viet-cong-t76952.html?t=76952

Attachments

• DSCN1808.jpg
    DSCN1808.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 124
Hi Jeff, For my money I think i'd put it with VC mines and even maybe fashion a facsimile MIN mine handle. But that's me..Dano

Maybe the save for Lou trades shelf??:tinysmile_grin_t:

Its funny too. Ive seen at least 3 of these come up for sale in the last 6 months and all of them were misidentified.

Last edited:
I'd put it on a shelf of items that have been put together wrong.
I've got a few myself, shells that have been mismatched, cases that have been cut down - from the bottom etc. It serves to remind me that one always has to be careful when you get stuff - obviously in this instance you knew what you were getting but it could so easily have been another story for others.
Dave.

maybe we should start a thread with crazy made up ordnance items?
I have some funny stuff.
Paul.
Great idea Paul, as I think all of us for whatever reason posess something made up. Something like post the picture and tell the story of how, why etc.... the piece was acquired. Could be fun....Dano

Happy New Year Jeff (and everyone else)! Do you have a shelf for Star Wars ordnance? Most certainly a MIN mine, which is a good find in itself. I'd take it apart and put the MIN on a Vietnam shelf and the handle on a fake handle shelf. I am quite often amazed at some of the "Gun Show Experts" who identify ordnance items on their tables. Like yours, many of them also get defensive no matter how gently you tell them they did not identify something right. The worst part though is they ususally have a very high price on a low value item and sooner or later someone will believe their story and buy it. Considering you got a MIN out of the deal you did OK though! Bob

What I would think how you could tell the difference between a "Practice" version compared to a "Live" version. Would be that the practice version is not drilled all the way through. In fact it is probably not drilled at all. The INERTed "Live Version(s)" are drilled with a metal cap and metal threaded ring nailed into the opening. If that makes any difference to you guys?
:tinysmile_hmm_t: