What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A challenge

Mine is my No 23 Mills gren given to me by a friend when I was 13. not saw another like it since, body marked "fico".

Also I would like to present my dearest piece!!! NO 27 with large socket. Harry

Attachments

• DSCN0289.jpg
    DSCN0289.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 75
Difficult, difficult.

I considered my 30/20 Aden, I considered my .303 Mark I Buckingham (to name a couple of previously suggested candidates), I considered my aluminiun case .303 and 20mm Hispanos, my .276 inch Pattern '13 Inspectors round and many others, but no.

In the end I plumped for perhaps an odd choice, a British military steel armourer's round for the .23 inch Aiming Tube for the Martini Henry and early .303 inch rifles. I have had this for well over thirty years and it has always "spoken" to me.

It is on the left in the picture.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Aiming tube.jpg
    Aiming tube.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 48
It's hard to make such a decision...

IMG_4791.jpgIMG_4794.jpgIMG_4795.jpgIn some ways, my favourite piece is the one i'm looking at at the time.
But this week, if i could only keep one round, it would be this one. The cases are, i believe relatively common. I got mine via Holland via Finland.
However, the projectiles seem to be rare (open to correction!). Mine came from Japan where there is quite a lot of Russian stuff from their war pre-WW1.
And only when it arrived here and i had a good look at it did i recall an article in the ECRA bulletin by Leslie Thurston showing a wooden mock-up he'd had made for this size case, originals being so hard to find. It is a 75x660R (rim 101mm) M1892 L/50. The guns being licenced from Schneider.
So there it is.....
I enjoy it anyway!
Charley

That's easy - would have to be an early Whitehead Torpedo pistol - which is my "Holy Grail"!!!!

The problem is I haven't got one......................yet! :tinysmile_cry_t3:

So in the interim, would have to be the rare Clarke Naval Bomb Fuse (or top part of!)

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 28
Mine took me less than a split second to decide. It is not the item that started my collection, nor is it by any means the rarest piece I have (which would probably be my Japanese 30x115 case (incoming), or the 37x145 Ho-204 case, or a different choice from my Japanese collection), and no, it's not even the Kwk 43 APHE round which I VERY painstakingly fully restored by hand.

No. Mine is an item that's close to ubiquitous. It's value at fairs over here is a few Euros at most. It's a German WW2 Znderbchse, as used for e.g. the Zt.Zs./30 nose fuzes.

The reason?
My grandfather was deported (from Holland) to Germany in 1942, and he was put to work in a factory in Bochum-Zelte, and was over there until the end of the war. Upon liberation by US troops, he was so much weakened from the extremely hard labour and harsh conditions that he was not even able to flee the grounds of the factory and had to recuperate strength for almost a year in the south of The Netherlands before he could finally go home (in 1946). For him and my grandmother the war was a topic not to be mentioned. It was so much of a no-no, that nowadays we don't know what it was my grandfather was working on.
There are precious little clues; the only two things he brought back were a self made aluminum match-box protector, inscribed with a date in 1942, and the location Bochum-Zelten, and the aforementioned Znderbchse.
The Znderbuchse is in my collection now, and I'm very proud to own it. Though as an item it is insignificant for collectors, due to it's history I wouldn't trade it for the rarest Japanese item in the world.

Cheers,
Olafo

Think i would keep my restored 120mm L32 projectile , dont know why? its the newest kit i got not the most expensive ..................... its def the cheiftain :tinysmile_shy_t:

cheers ken

Think i would keep my restored 120mm L32 projectile , dont know why? its the newest kit i got not the most expensive ..................... its def the cheiftain :tinysmile_shy_t:

cheers ken

OOHHHH thats nice!!!

I have 2 projectiles and now a case that I want to redo... for a nice Wombat round :D

My 155MM M121A1 dummy VX no doubt. A handful were manufactured to test the demilling procedure of US chem weapon VX and GB shells at Anniston. Nothing more destructive than a VX chemical weapon shell other than a nuke....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
For me, my first 9.2" HE. I still remember how I felt adding my first 'heavy' to the collection. It still sits in the corner along with its fellow 8"'s...

My 155MM M121A1 dummy VX no doubt. A handful were manufactured to test the demilling procedure of US chem weapon VX and GB shells at Anniston. Nothing more destructive than a VX chemical weapon shell other than a nuke....

More info and pictures:

The 155MM M121A1 was made from a WW2 dated M101 shell. It even has the burster tube in it, about 17" long. The engraving on the shell " Lot JBC
1-31-1945 155 MM M101", and another number atop of it " U 386" ( no idea what that means). They must have went to a lot of trouble manufacturing a dummy M121A1. See pics. Not sure what is more desirable, a dummy M121A1 or a WW2 era 155MM M101.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: