What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID assistance for 37mm Bofors

Here littlebit better picture from cover of factory product catalog,shows name of Kellokosken Tehdas in Finnish and Swedish form Mariefors Bruk.Also shows the factory logo:
kellokoski.jpg

Interesting looking projectiles.Not common to see these with detonators and tracer elements.

Here is my collection,black one is swedish made.Others are finnish.

The one without color is factory OY Ammus made preproduction example.
View attachment 83331
Hi jiipee76, can you post a close-up of the yellow projectile? The first one on the left, please?

The better part of valor is discretion, and with scant information available on the fuze (and knowing that three more were in the surplus store) I decided that this 37mm needed further testing. A 19 gr shaped charge was placed just below the rotating band, the results were pretty conclusive. The owner of the surplus store has since decided to release his three on display, plus 19 more he had in a case. These are believed to be legacy items directly related to the advertisement provided by bdgreen at the beginning of this thread. Thanks to all for the ID assist.

37mm bofors 1.jpg37mm bofors 2.jpg37mm bofors 3.jpg

Did the tracer element survive the explosion or did it burn/explode too? I notice it is missing in the after explosion picture.

Fragmented. I doubt the composition burnt, but there was no material left to find.

So, this explains MB in Finnish logo. In Finnish Army ordnance supplier list they mention only the Finnish name Kellokosken Tehtaat = Kellokoski Works. In Finland we have 2 official languages; Finnish and Swedish and many companies as well as places have both Finnish and Swedish name.

MB in Sweden obviously is still another company.

I pretty sure that MB with a crown with big cross means Ammunitionsfabriken Marieberg.

1. Marieberg had a documented production of 37mm cases.

2. Id doubt that Mariefors in Finland would have made 37mm cases in 1938.
The gun where accepted for Finnish service in October 1938.

3. the crown of Mariefors bruk do not look like the Crown on the case.

4. In Marieberg logo the M and B did "touch" each other, as on the case,
while Mariefors Bruk had a distinct space between the letters.

So I'm convinced that the case where one of the more than 50 000 Swedish made cases sold to Finland.

Cheers
John T