What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10.5 cm Flak 38/39 AP

FNG61

10.5 cm Flak 38/39 case with APC shell. Paint may be original. Red paint on shell to indicate special driving band. Shown with 6pr and US 37mm rounds for size comparison.

Attachments

• 10.5dis.jpg
    10.5dis.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 10.5with37n57.jpg
    10.5with37n57.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 194
Red band

10.5 cm Flak 38/39 case with APC shell. Paint may be original. Red paint on shell to indicate special driving band. Shown with 6pr and US 37mm rounds for size comparison.

Hello FNG61,
I must bring a little correction on your post. The red band indicate a "Rot" projectile. In the designation of a german shell WW II, you have probably wrote this word, ex : 10 cm Panzergranate rot.
What means this term ? Initially, the shells are made for a type of gun, howitzer or gun. The shells have different parts or constructions for us use with howitzer or gun, a case, crimped or not, separate powder bags, small or large driving bands,...
The germans made common shells for howitzers or guns. That's were the "rot" shells. A rot shell can be used as good with a howitzer as with a gun.
The special driving band is probably one of the particularities of a rot projo.

Yoda

Rot projectile

Here your 10,5 cm PzGr Rot

Attachments

• GE 10,5 cm PzGr Rot-01.JPG
    GE 10,5 cm PzGr Rot-01.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 130
Hello flak18

By doing some research on the 10,5 flak Pzgr 39 bands two things appears: (1) there is no definite answer on the matter even on original German booklets and (2) apparently was KPS -copper- single band but FES -synterized steel- 2 bands

Any more accurate info and details are certainly needed and are welcome!

Hello Enrico....point taken, there are no definitive answers at all. Sometimes it's a nightmare trying to work it all out.
I was working under the assumption that such a high velocity weapon would require it's shells to have 2 bands to diminish the firing stresses. I know copper is good...but that good ??? Keep up the good work. Regards

Hi Enrico,

Though I have posted this picture before on a different thread, it may be of help on this one. The 10.5cm Flak38/39 I have is fitted with double KPS (copper) driving bands (second from right). The 10.5cm SKC30 (extreme left) has double FES (sintered iron) bands.

flak40 023.jpg

The KPS driving band is not a copper driving band, but a bi-metallic driving band, consisting of an outer copper driving band attached to an inner iron driving band.

Indeed, Kupferpresstahl. You will also no doubt have spotted my other little oversight in the form of 10.5cm SKC30. It should have read 10.5cm SKC32, the Schiffskanone/C30 being a 3.7cm weapon. Guess that's what rushing does !

Anyway, I digress, the jist of my original post was to show two types of driving bands on two different and relevant projectiles to this thread.