What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105mm

Fired bands can be deceptive as the copper is deformed by the lands and fills the grooves giving a larger diameter after firing than before, albeit not by much. Sounds like your drills have different bands to a service shell though, which makes sense.
Also all my drill rounds are stamped SX 1030 where as all my other 105s have different SX numbers I have also been told by some experts on shells that they did re purpose HE etc shells to be drill shells this is when you see the SX number has been stamped out and changer to SX1035

Attachments

• IMG_8344.jpeg
    IMG_8344.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8343.jpeg
    IMG_8343.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8342.jpeg
    IMG_8342.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Also all my drill rounds are stamped SX 1030 where as all my other 105s have different SX numbers I have also been told by some experts on shells that they did re purpose HE etc shells to be drill shells this is when you see the SX number has been stamped out and changer to SX1035
Another question is about drive bands and drill shells . How do you stop a drill shell falling out of the barrel before you get the charge bags in ? Come on experts explain this . Ive also been told by real expert people that it was common to re purpose shell into drill rounds back in the day .

Another question is about drive bands and drill shells . How do you stop a drill shell falling out of the barrel before you get the charge bags in ? Come on experts explain this . Ive also been told by real expert people that it was common to re purpose shell into drill rounds back in the day .

Attachments

• IMG_8338.jpeg
    IMG_8338.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 13