What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 Pdr Practice Shot???

ammocat

Ordnance approved
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Does anyone have any additional information on this projectile? It is 76mm in diameter, 78mm in diameter on the driving band, 217mm long, 17mm from the bottom to the bottom of the driving band and the driving band is 14mm wide. The projectile is black with a white band. The white band varies in width so may have added. I cannot see any sign of colour on the nose of the projectile. The base is stamped 12 PR QF I/T around the outer edge. There is a P stamped on the base as well half way between the edge and the centre. There are one or two other stamped makings that are unreadable due to corrosion. There are no stamped or stencilled markings on the body except for the broad arrow, possible proof marks stamped on the body and RZ stamped in the driving band. I am aware of the 12 Pdr AA and naval guns, but have not been able to find any refernce to 12 Pdr AP or Practice Shot. I am assuming this is Practice Shot.

Thanks for that Spotter, markings are closer to the first. A fair bit of info on 12 Pdr shrapnel, but not much on shot

shot is practice, bit of a generalisation but British naval never used solid AP, initialy pointed shell then capped shell as armour got thicker and better was their way of getting through it, it needed explosive content to maximise damage inside the ship, plain penetration was not that effective becuase of what is inside as opposed to inside say a tank.

I have had two versions of this, one kind was solid and the other as shown has a brass plug that can be removed to fit a tracer element. These and a 3 & 6pdr I had have a flat tip which is also an indication of a practice shot.

Looks like you have the solid version.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 18
  • attachment-1.jpg
    attachment-1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 17