What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17-Pdr AP Shot

ydnum303

Hi All,
Have recently acquired a couple of unfired 17-Pdr AP Mk.6 shot. One of them is stamped as expected, as follows:-
AP 17 PR & 77m/m MK VI T
3BD VA 1/46 BS
On the driving band is stamped CAL 1

The second one is the one that interests me. It is stamped:-
AP 17 PDR MK 6
ROF PAT FS
M692
FVRDE / 88 / 385
8/57

I am surprised that the Mk.6 shot was still in use in 1957, as it is the simple uncapped shot. Can anyone tell me why, and why it is marked FVRDE (which I know stands for the Fighting Vehicle Research & Development Establishment)?
There was no paint on it. and the tracer cavity was empty. Would this projectile have had any special paint scheme, or just the normal one for AP shot in 1957? Was it an experimental (although I cannot think why it should be)?

Any information gratefully received!

Thanks in advance,
Roger.

The 6 Pounder projectile that I have a thread running on at the moment is also stamped CAL 1. Perhaps this projectile was also to be used in plate testing firing. My projectile has been verified as to have been used for this purpose.

Bockscar.

Hi Bockscar,

Yes, well, mine did come from the same source as yours, at the same time I think, so I suspect it may have been for plate testing. I am curious about the stamping, though. I would have thought there were sufficient of the war-time APs about, without having to go to the trouble of having new ones made, with different stamping. And, of course, what would their paint scheme have been at that time? Mine were bare steel under a thin coat of rust; no obvious signs of paint (unlike the 6-Pdr).

Regards,

Roger.

Roger,
You are quite right to say that there must have been enough of these projectiles going about after the war had ended... I read somewhere that the numbers produced of all calibres were simply staggering. Perhaps rounds were produced later,which had a different hardness or some such difference, enough to warrant manufacture for testing purposes...who knows? I am only hoping that there may be documentation out there somewhere giving more details about these plate testing projectiles.....fingers crossed!

Bockscar.

more info, doubt if it will help but here it is. My shot is similar but marked: AP 17PDR & 77MM VI, FVRDE 2/88/385, PAT LOT 2 10/57, M2054 Bbetween the bands 3890 the turning marks are very clear and does not appear to have had any rust. The paint is shinny black and there are white band, red band and white tip hand painted but the paint could well be non origonal but if limited quantity production why not hand paint as its quicker than setting up a machine.. If plate test why 17 & 77??