What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17 Pounder Flat Head Practice Shot?

peregrinvs

Could someone confirm my belief this is a 17 Pounder flat head practice shot? It measures about 218x76mm

IMG_3314.jpgIMG_3315.JPG

If so; could someone post a picture of the original colour and markings?

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks. I think it probably is a 17pdr - the guy I bought it off said it had been found on a British range.

Interesting that the other one is plain black. I'd assumed it would have a yellow band around the middle. My aim is to remove the current paint, then the rust underneath and then fill the pitting and repaint. Then to find a case...

Hi,
Its definetly 17pr due to double band whether its should be classed as proof or practice is another question we use to see these all the time on the SP and i was told a few years later by an instructor at Larkhill they use to use the flat head proof for target practice as it cut down on the ricochet's as far as colour black with yellow band around the middle and maybe a red tracer marking if it had one

I haven't come across a 17 pdr one, but used to have a couple of 2 pdr ones with flat tops which from my understanding were used for practice.

I occasionally find flat heads on my favourite beach, that was a training area in WW2. Some have a single driving band, some have a double driving band. I know that Sherman Fireflies also trained on the beach.

Thanks for all the input. Having found the 1948 Interservice Ammunition Markings document in the downloads section, my best guess for the general markings are black body, a 1 inch yellow ring around the middle, a 1/2 inch red ring near the top and a red tracer symbol beneath the yellow ring. Still interested to know what the specific markings would be. Would they be in the 'Handbook for the ordnance Q.F, 17-pr' manual?

Thanks,
Mark

Its a flat head practice, no need for a tracer on a proof shot.
Hope that help.

Hello,

Ok, it's a 17Pr round for practice but as far as I know proof shots may have a tracer (picture : example of WW2 German Proof 8.8cm).

Regards

LDV  4402  5.JPG

What purpose would a tracer serve in a proof projectile? Happy to be proven wrong, but I don't believe any British artillery proof projectiles had tracers.

D