What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 x 94 silver bullet

SG500

Premium Member
I picked this up off e bay last week, more as a curiosity thing rather than anything serious for the collection.
Its a model of a WW1 tank round made out of silver, complete with hall mark and screwed to a slate base.
Its extremely well made with lots of detail even down to the crimp marks on the case and the stepped rim to the case!
The case is engraved:

The Officers
5th Bn
Royal Tank Corps
From
Capt C. Hutchinson MC

The back of the case has a number 73 stamped on it plus a hallmark.

I don't know if it ever had a fuze on top. The "fuze pocket" is not threaded.

I've tried the usual Google search for Capt C. Hutchinson MC but can't find out anything about him. Has anyone any ideas?
Is anyone any good at reading hall marks, I was wondering what date thte mark was?
Does anyone have anything similar to compare it to? I'm assuming that these were made as private purchase items and then the buyer would just request an appropriate engraving?

Shown next to a 50 cal case for scale.

Dave.

Attachments

• Shells 7th November 2010 048.jpg
    Shells 7th November 2010 048.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Shells 7th November 2010 049.jpg
    Shells 7th November 2010 049.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Shells 7th November 2010 012.jpg
    Shells 7th November 2010 012.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Shells 7th November 2010 011.jpg
    Shells 7th November 2010 011.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 35
The lion indicates the purity of the silver,the lion passant means it's sterling .925
If that is a leopards head it indicates the place of manufacture as London.

Strange to see no date marking.

Cheers,
Andy

Last edited:
The lion indicates the purity of the silver,the lion passant means it's sterling .925
If that is a leopards head it indicates the place of manufacture as London.

Strange to see no date marking.

Cheers,
Andy

Thanks Andy. It looks like a leopards head to me.
Dave.

A very quick run through the internet suggests your man is Captain Clive Hutchinson MC of the Lincolnshire Regiment.
Details found from the Edinburgh and London Gazette archives suggest he is the only Capt C Hutchinson awarded an MC ( no details of the deed that won the award).
Briefly he appears to have been made a Temp capt from Lt on 170116. On 090416 he was made Adjudant of his batallion.
First mention of the MC comes in 1918 when Capt C Hutchinson MC was posted as a Company officer to the Royal Military College on 070518. On 190819 he was made temporary Major and seconded to the General Staff. He relinquished his temp rank on 081219 and was seconded to the LEWIS and HOTCHKISS GUN WING of the Small Arms School as an assistant Instructor.
I cant find any other record after this except that his promotion to Captain was not confirmed until 101123 backdated to 240416!!
I'm sure there will be more to be found about your man. Good luck.

A very quick run through the internet suggests your man is Captain Clive Hutchinson MC of the Lincolnshire Regiment.
Details found from the Edinburgh and London Gazette archives suggest he is the only Capt C Hutchinson awarded an MC ( no details of the deed that won the award).
Briefly he appears to have been made a Temp capt from Lt on 170116. On 090416 he was made Adjudant of his batallion.
First mention of the MC comes in 1918 when Capt C Hutchinson MC was posted as a Company officer to the Royal Military College on 070518. On 190819 he was made temporary Major and seconded to the General Staff. He relinquished his temp rank on 081219 and was seconded to the LEWIS and HOTCHKISS GUN WING of the Small Arms School as an assistant Instructor.
I cant find any other record after this except that his promotion to Captain was not confirmed until 101123 backdated to 240416!!
I'm sure there will be more to be found about your man. Good luck.

Thanks, appreciated. I was putting too much information into the Google search (I was looking for a Capt C Hutchinson MC in the TANK corps). Will do some more research.
Dave.