What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1871/74 11x60mm confusion?

navyman

Hello all,
More questions again I'm afraid,

I'm trying to update my collection data and need some help so that I can get the new labels a little more correct?
I have an 1871/74 Tube mag. Mauser manufactured, I believe, in Spandau.
I need to know if it's the last Prussian pattern 'large cal', 11x60mm issued, and did the Prussian/German (?) Command panic when the French introduced their 8mm Lebel, and consequently tried to adapt their 1871/74 to a smaller calibre, apparently without much success ? Did they try necking down 11mm cases and re-barreling?
I'm attaching two pics showing some inert rounds with the rifle, I believe the rounds should have flat tipped projectiles to reduce the problem of multiple ignition, caused by recoil, in the tube magazine?
This info has been gleaned from various friends, who like most collectors, enjoy a good disagreement over details, but it would be good for me to settle it once and for all, and stop having to alter my labels!
Many thanks for any help here,
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• 71 74 1a.jpg
    71 74 1a.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 11mm 2a.jpg
    11mm 2a.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 47
11 x 60R

The 11 x 60R M1871/84 (not 71/74) was the last large calibre round used by the German Empire and was introduced just as the blackpowder age was coming to an end.

As you say, worried by the French development of the 8mm Lebel the Germans set up a commission to design a new rifle which resulted in the 1888 Commission Rifle in 7.92 x 57mm. The rifle had many shortcomings as might be expected of something designed by a committee and was soon modified as first the M1889, then the 1891.

The correct ammo for your rifle is indeed the flat nosed M71/84 round. The round nosed bullet was for the original single shot M1871. The bullets in your picture look rather shiny and new. Are they modern loads?

I believe there were experimental 8mm rounds made by necking down the 11mm case, but these are soon abandoned and are very rare today. However, I have no details as German SAA is not my field.

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Hello again Tony,
Thanks for sorting out my confusion, and for pointing out my dating mistake, this was a typing error by myself and would have not been noticed until the incorrect data had been displayed.
The inert rounds were purchased from Antique Armouries, Staffordshire.
Best regards,
navyman.