What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1906 Dated 18Pr Case

hicky1300

DCP02382.JPGDCP02380.jpgGot this today at local Car Boot sale.
1906 Dated 18pounder case.
Headstamp: 18Pr, I, 4 GNR (in a Diamond) HD, 11.7.06
Primer: 1906, HD, S A, 18pr

Nice condition only 10. Already got some 18 cases but due to age & pressed in primer thought nice addition

Hi hicky1300, nice case with very unusual primer! Been used quite a few times too! Great find :) thanks for sharing it

Case made by Coventry Ordnance Works, still don't know the meaning of the 'nuclear symbol'

Regards

TimG

Push in primer?

Tim,

perhaps the "nuclear" symbol is a double stamped Scleroscope?

The pressed in primer is very interesting. I have not seen this before.

Here is a photo (from Drew/Dronic69 - hope you don't mind me using it) of a nice 1905 case with a standard screw in primer "No. I".
So even though introduced around 1904, looks like they were still experimenting a bit.

Cheers,

Graeme

Attachments

• shell1a.jpg
    shell1a.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 48
Must admit when I saw the case it was its age that interested me first as I thought they came in in about 1910, but then the pressed in primer really piqued my interest.
I have had a look at it & I think it is a two piece primer assy.
Theres the centre part (the primer itself) & then a retaining ring? There is no staking to either the ring or primer so i assume it is all an interference fit.
It looks as though rthe primer could me removed much the same as on a SAA round in a fixture with a pin that would push the primer & ring out. Then a very simple process to press in a new primer & retaining ring? The fact this has been relaoded with Full Cordite charge 4 times with this type of primer, to me, points this could have been an experimental or trials case?
Also the fact the primer has no MK or No?
Cheers for all the ideas/help - this is what I love about this site!!

Hi Hicky,

Now that is a great find!

> Early case!
> Very unusual primer!
> Good condition;
> Great price

Yes one just never knows whats going to turn up - especially at a car boot sale!
Cheers
Drew

BTW - Graeme - no problems using the photo - wish it was my case!.....humm, but then I just collect fuses.....