What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi, could someone help me identify this head stamp its a standard 303 round.
Thanks in advance
Andy

Attachments

• P1020415.jpg
    P1020415.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 71
  • P1020416.jpg
    P1020416.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 46
This is believed to be Latvian, although the arsenal is not known.

The Baltic states received large numbers of British rifles and machine guns post WWI and also used Vickers guns in their aircraft.

This headstamp is found with several dates in the late thirties.

regards
Tonye

Thanks missingsomething, i thought the symbol was Arabic but Tony came through well done.
Cheers
Andy

hehehe.... as usual, by the time I posted there was Tony's answer :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

just a day late and a $ short as usual :neutral:

Still sifting though..... no documentation on Latvia stuff in my library:tinysmile_cry_t4:

No, I am sorry but I do not know what the stylised "V" symbol means.

Another Baltic .303 to look for is a Lithuanian round headstamped "H 26 V". These were virtually unheard of until a few crates of mixed .303 came into the UK a couple of years ago. In amongst a lot of mixed British WWI and 2 ammo were a few of these rounds. Most were ball, but a couple were AP, again not known.

I would post a picture of my two rounds, but I cannot find the picture in my laptop at the moment!

Regards
TonyE

Thanks Tony, i had a few hundread of those rounds when they came into the country mostly were WW2 stuff and a few WW1 rounds mixed in and i got a couple of H26 V's one was AP and the Latvian and SMI tracer rounds, allot of members were shooting that stuff and it still worked, but I saved mine.
Regards
Andy

V

I have checked through my notes and these were made by Sellier & Bellot in Riga. Up until 1937 they used the familiar "S (date) B R" headstamp but from 1938 onwards used the "V" headstamp.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks again Tony at least that one is sorted well done what would we do without you.
Cheers
Andy

No, I am sorry but I do not know what the stylised "V" symbol means.

Another Baltic .303 to look for is a Lithuanian round headstamped "H 26 V". These were virtually unheard of until a few crates of mixed .303 came into the UK a couple of years ago. In amongst a lot of mixed British WWI and 2 ammo were a few of these rounds. Most were ball, but a couple were AP, again not known.

I would post a picture of my two rounds, but I cannot find the picture in my laptop at the moment!

Regards
TonyE
Tony sure your right, just thought it was a Kynoch looker - any contracts?As ever, Ron. Sorry Tony, missed your previous entry, forget my idear. Later, Ron.

Last edited:
Vairog

I have checked through my notes and these were made by Sellier & Bellot in Riga. Up until 1937 they used the familiar "S (date) B R" headstamp but from 1938 onwards used the "V" headstamp.

Regards
TonyE

The V stands for "Vairog" and is Latvian for "shield". It seems that Vairog was a company that also made Ford cars and lorries under licence from 1937 until 1940 when the factory was taken over by the Soviets.

I don't know the connection between S&B and Vairog. It may be that S&B sold their Riga business to Vairog in 1937 which was why the headstamp changed.

Regards
TonyE

Hi do you know what the symbol says or is that a silly question,
Cheers
Andy

Thanks Tony for clearing that one up
Cheers
Andy

Vairog

I think the symbol is just a styalised "V" and was the logo of Vairog.

Regards
TonyE