What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can you guess what caliber squeeze bore.

blu97

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Ordnance approved
Hi all, can you guess what caliber squeeze bore this is, no prices just an anwser.
Regards Blu.

Attachments

• 001-132.jpg
    001-132.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds pretty close. I think I've got one in the collection but don't remember the size. I can measure it later when I get home if you want Erik -

Should be the one more or less in the middle? Look about right? Sorry for the poor photo, its the only one I have at work.

DSCN1869.jpg

Yep, 14/9 "viereck" Patrone. Casing was based on the 13 x 64 for the MG 131.
Iirc tests were carried out with this round under auspices of it being intended for a hunting rifle for "Herr Reichsmarshall Gring" but I'll have to look that up in Stegmllers book :tinysmile_twink_t2:

regards,

Menno.

Last edited:
Yes thats right, I visited Hillersleben and Kummersdorf this week and saw a lot of experimental stuff of which you only can dream.
Her some more pics and later I will post some pics of other stuff.

Attachments

• 001-131.jpg
    001-131.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 001-130.jpg
    001-130.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 32
Hello there,

it' s a a.p. shot for a borte gun, German, 28-20mm or els a 42-28mm...... nice item.

Regards and a nice weekend, Chris.

Hey all. Full calibre reads: 14/9 x 84, the casing was actually based on the MG 131/8 casing ( istsself an experimental casing for an MG 131 round in 7,92 calibre), it was designated L1111. In order to keep the work on this round secret from the Polte firm, DWM decided on using a ruse; the weapon being developed was to be a hunting rifle for Goering. Reason for this ruse: Fliegeroberstingenieur (airforce chief engineer) Herr Viereck had been introduced to knowledge about squeezebore technique by the Polte firm and was sworn to secrecy, so he couldn't openly give the contract for developing the 14/9 calibre to DWM.

Regards,

Menno.

Last edited:
Hello, I must correct myself:
the casing "L1111" was (according to Stegmueller) probably used in 14/10 experiments in conjunction with a conical barrel proposed by Polte as an improvement for (or over) the PzB 39.
A casing of the same dimensions (as far as can be judged from the drawings), as part of a round described as "Patrone 131/8-14/9", was used in tests with an altered MG 131 barrel. It is the latter which is shown by BLU 97 and which was part of the "Goering" ruse.
Involvement of Herr Viereck in both experiments and misreading the German text had me confused. I apologize!

But, to make things even more interesting: there also existed an unbelted 14/9 round, this was part of an experiment with the Patrone 318 (PzB 38 and 39) as ammo for a machinegun to be used in tanks, the MG 141 EW (I do not know what EW stands for).
In this project a conical barrel was also tested, this was the unbelted 14/9 (I presume the casing was based on that of the Patronenhuelse 318, Stegmueller does not specifically state this, but overall shape of the case, neck excepted, resembles the 7,92 x 94).

Regards,

Menno

Last edited: