What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early Hotchkiss Shells

Shell Shifter

Hi. An interest of mine is earlier Hotchkiss material. The first example is a 53mm base fused steel shell.
IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

The second was found associated with a Hotchkiss Paris case. The resemblance to the first is rather profound yet, there is no mention in any literature that I have come across of the existance of such a shell. Note the base and it's similarity to the 53mm example. The blunt nose identifies it as cast iron. It is 1.65".
IMG_2283.jpg
IMG_2287.jpg

This shell had a long, deep gash on it's side. The gash matched one in the casing and suggested that someone was either very destructive or had a unique way of disarming ordnance. In any event, I used the damage to justify, perhaps mistakenly, sectioning the projectile. The cutaway view shows (I think you can make it out) remnants of a shellac coating. This was, I understand, to prevent the BP bursting charge from reacting with the iron.

Later projectiles used knurling to secure the driving band.

Whoops! The base picture for the 1.65" projectile follows.

Here are some Hotchkiss in my Collection

Photo 1 53mm Hotchkiss
Photo 2 47mm Hotchkiss
Photo 3 42mm Hotchkiss (1.65inch)
Photo 4 42mm Hotchkiss Canister (the one on the left with the flat top)
Photo 5 Hotchkiss 37mm x 94mm
Photo 6 Hotchkiss 37 x 94 base fuzed (the one on the right is target practice, unthreaded base hole)
Photo 7 Hotchkiss 37 x 94 later drawn case types
Photo 8 Hotchkiss 37 heavy (center is the 40mm canister and container)
Photo 9 Hotchkiss 37 heavy
597.jpg558.jpg570.jpg571.jpg008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg035.jpg036.jpg

Wow!!!! that is a Hotchkiss collection.There are quite a few that I have never seen, much less got my sweaty paws on. Thanks for sharing, photos go into the research collection. Thanks again, Highlandotter.

Very nice, Frizzen. Tell me, can you provide some photos of the projos in the first 1.65" set? I wonder if the base fused one is the same as the one that I posted. I am trying to figure out the progress of development of the 1.65 shells and you might be able to answer a couple of questions with your collection.

Thanks.

All those coiled cases-- I'm drooling ! I have a couple of questions on the 37x94 kind which I have noted on the images. I'm curious about the practice, might be a new one to me, can you post a picture of the projectile in profile and one of the base of it. I look forward to seeing it. A Wonderful grouping--

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 58
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 70
Hello frizzen,

Thank you for sharing the photographs of your spectacular Hotchkiss collection with the group. Really nice!

Best regards,

Randall

very impressive collection, never seen a coiled case in the flesh let alone available. makes my few Hotchkiss look pathetic.

Hotchkiss H.V. 37mm

In size it would qualify as a 1 Pr. Heavy if it had the regular smooth band. It has the same three ribbed band as Hotchkiss 47mm - 75mm navy high velocity projectiles. This is for the 37 x 307 case. It seems that only Norway bought these. When the Hotchkiss projectiles ran out they started using a projectile with the usual a British Nordenfelt style band. The base and internal fuze is the standard Hotchkiss kind found in the 1 Pr. light 37mm which for comparison I put beside it, other wise it looks like a 3 Pr.

Attachments

• IMG_2669.jpg
    IMG_2669.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 47
001.jpg003.jpg005.jpgHere are some photos showing the Hotchkiss rounds in relationship to each other, photo 1 with nose fuzed and photo 2 base fuzed. Note the small and large fuze types on both the 53mm and the 1.65mm rounds. They are from left to right, 53mm, 47mm, 1.65" (43mm), 37 heavy and 37 x 94. The third photo is of the 37 x 94 practice round, unfortunately my camera could not capture the base cavity which is unthreaded. All of the rounds are standard primed except the 1.65" which are friction primed. For Gordon who asked for dates on the 37 x 94, they are as follows; Base fuzed rounds are Lot 134 1882-4, Lot 190 1887- , (on the Target practice round) Lot 67 1879-3 The nose fuzed rounds are Lot 190 1887-3, Lot 127 1882-4, Lot 48 1879-1, and Lot 190- 1886-1 Hope this helps....

Is your practice like any of these ? That is just like a regular penetrating but with no threads or like the Solid body kind.

I also show my oldest projectile which needs an older coiled case----- had one once on the way but disappeared in the mail between France & U.S.

Attachments

• HotchkissPracticeProjectiles.jpg
    HotchkissPracticeProjectiles.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 1877 Hotchkiss.jpg
    1877 Hotchkiss.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 29
  • SolidShot.jpg
    SolidShot.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 30
Said my early Hotchkiss were meagre, I've left out the common Jap. contract ones.HOTCHKISS.JPG the two 47mm shell have virtualy smooth brass bands and the cannister has a riveted base.

Can you show a closer image.

The canister is very uncommon, as is the two piece case, is it marked.I have only seen Winchester made 37mm cases like this. Though it seems Hotchkiss made the larger sizes. Are you able to remove the canister and take a side shot of it and the top & bottom. So far I have only seen 47mm and never 37mm, but they should be the same except for size and images would be helpful.
Those 47mm with smooth bands look very interesting also, not something I have seen before.

Last edited: