What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gun Firing Pressure gauge , US Gauge Co. NY

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
hi, I wonder if anyone has an idea of what this instrument was used for and how. Its marked 'Gun Firing Pressure' 'Lbs per sq in' and made by the US Gauge Co of New York and below that FIG-2050. On the reverse is a plate which says 'Type AW-2-46, serial no. 18533'

any thoughts?

many thanks, dave100_9676.jpg100_9675.jpg

The pressure level indicated is far too low to be for any conventional firearm. Must be for a water cannon or flamethrower. My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

The pressure level indicated is far too low to be for any conventional firearm. Must be for a water cannon or flamethrower. My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Thats an interesting thought M8, perhaps others will be able to add to that theory - certainly the pressures are too low for a firearm. Luckily, it owes almost nothing but your opinion is worth more than that!

thanks, dave

Hi Dave,this gauge could refer to the air pressure in the gun firing system of an aircraft,some were electrically fired others compressed air,I can remember reading many years ago about a fighter pilot pressing the firing button and only hearing the hiss of the pneumatic system when he expected to hear the cannon firing,he was out of ammunition,
Cheers,
Don,

Hi Dave,this gauge could refer to the air pressure in the gun firing system of an aircraft,some were electrically fired others compressed air,I can remember reading many years ago about a fighter pilot pressing the firing button and only hearing the hiss of the pneumatic system when he expected to hear the cannon firing,he was out of ammunition,
Cheers,
Don,

Thats interesting Don, I didn't mention that it came with a pair of WW2 RAF goggles as I didn't think they were necessarily linked but that is a line of research I need to follow up on. Well done that man!

many thanks, Dave

I agree with Beihan62 in that I think that this gauge would have been part of the pneumatic gun cocking system too. For your information if you are not already aware, know that a lot of these old gauges dials and pointers were painted with radioactive radium paint and as such present a health hazard as they age and the paint crumbles and flakes off into minute particles that can be ingested.

Also, I don't believe any conventional needle pointer/Bourdon tube pressure gauge could respond to the rapid rise and fall of pressure in a gun barrel. The views above about air/hydraulic pressure make sense.

gravelbelly

thanks guys, you were right. Someone from another forum has confirmed that it was used on Lockheed Hudsons which, like many US aircraft at the time, used a pnuematic cocking system. well done!! Dave