What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harpoon cannons

RogueAdventurer

Premium Member
G'day all,

An interesting one which we have been asked to examine: harpoon cannons. Are any of you aware of books/research which specifically examine harpoon cannons' methods of operation, major manufacturers, and types/models available (historically and at present)? I'm mostly seeking to document the technical characteristics of different types and models, and all known manufacturers, from 1900 to present day. It would also be important to examine the projectiles themselves in a similar way (types, models, manufacturers, etc.). Operational notes/manuals/etc. on employment of different harpoon cannons would also be useful.

Finally, are there 'harpoon cannon experts' known to any of you?

Cheers in advance.

G'day all,

An interesting one which we have been asked to examine: harpoon cannons. Are any of you aware of books/research which specifically examine harpoon cannons' methods of operation, major manufacturers, and types/models available (historically and at present)? I'm mostly seeking to document the technical characteristics of different types and models, and all known manufacturers, from 1900 to present day. It would also be important to examine the projectiles themselves in a similar way (types, models, manufacturers, etc.). Operational notes/manuals/etc. on employment of different harpoon cannons would also be useful.

Cheers in advance.

You could try the Grytviken, South Atlantic web site - lots of photos etc. See attached 2 of the harpoon tip types. These were often referred to as 'exploding harpoons' but in fact the small charge behind these tips was to shoot the tip forward in the same way as a bullet to try and kill the animal quicker. The effect being both noisy and bloody gave rise to the common name. The .303 gives scale.

Dave

Attachments

• 100_7549.jpg
    100_7549.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 73
heres some whaling Grenades i spotted in the whaling museum in Broughty Ferry castle near Dundee, Scotland.

Attachments

• whale_grenades.jpg
    whale_grenades.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 53
DSC_0275.jpgHere's one i've got, it has copper plated surface and CAV on the lugs each side and about 118mm wide x 435 long, i think it had old whale fat on it when i picked it up at a car boot and didn't it smell too good.
Andy:)

probably brought back from the Falklands as a souvenir - its about all there was that the paras etc could find. In some of the photos from the Grytviken site, you can see rusty harpoon tips just lying about on the shore. Mine came from Tidworth with no history but probably brought back by someone who was later posted to the base there - they were sold to me as architectural castings! Dead fish don't tend to smell too good Andy.

Dave

probably brought back from the Falklands as a souvenir - its about all there was that the paras etc could find. In some of the photos from the Grytviken site, you can see rusty harpoon tips just lying about on the shore. Mine came from Tidworth with no history but probably brought back by someone who was later posted to the base there - they were sold to me as architectural castings! Dead fish don't tend to smell too good Andy.

Dave

Dead fish ???

Spotted this in an antique shop last weekend - apologies for the poor quality photos as the Shop Owner is an Ass$%#$% and won't permit photos, so I had to subtlety take a couple of snaps (when they weren't looking) and "stitch" them together for the overall view. Certainly not my area of expertise, but it is advertised as in original "untouched" condition and yours for approx. $2K AUD (which is probably now about $5 USD! LOL)

Approx. 1m overall length - the head looks quite small compared to the size of the ones in the photos posted prior (compared to an 18pdr projectile) - perhaps an early 19th one - thoughts?

Cheers
Drew

BTW - Photos of the Cold Water Temperature "torpedo" next to it - posted it in the "Underwater Ordnance" section

Attachments

• Whale Harpoon-1.jpg
    Whale Harpoon-1.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Whale Harpoon-2.jpg
    Whale Harpoon-2.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Whale Harpoon-3.jpg
    Whale Harpoon-3.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
G'day all,

Cheers in advance.

The Ordnance Society Journal Vol 22 has a long article which may be of interest: "The evolution of the harpoon gun for the Arctic and South Sea whale fisheries in the 18th & 19th centuries" by Arthur G Credland, page 39 - 93. Contact: ordnance.society@btinternet.com. http://ordnancesociety.org.uk/. Depotman

A similar photo to Dave's of a couple of items I examined today. Both of them are 430 mm long and 115 mm in base diameter. There is a screw thread inside. The silvery one is stamped HH and the pointed one CMV.

harp1.jpgharp2.jpgharp3.jpgharp4.jpg