What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID NEEDED ON 6pdr CASE

raymeketa

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Here's one that has me befuddled. Maybe someone can help.

Case has markings on side above rim and two holes in side that appear to have been plugged. Base is drilled out like it was meant to hold a smaller case or sub-caliber device.

Anyone ???.

29px4p2.jpg
znng8x.jpg
2q2ogeg.jpg
b3k8m0.jpg

The 6lb Davis Gun was a recoilless ,sometimes aircraft mounted weapon of the first world war.
'British Aircraft Armament' by R.Wallace Clarke, has a good section on it.

Bob

Hi Ray

I identified it over on the IAA site and added a drawing of the similar 2 Pr. case.

Here is the drawing together with a picture from the RNAS Station Battersea, which was an experimental armament establishment, Davis guns in the foreground.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• RNAS Battersea.jpg
    RNAS Battersea.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Davis 2 Pdr. Design.jpg
    Davis 2 Pdr. Design.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 30
Thanks to all. I learned something new today. I was ready to write it off as someone's attempt to make a table lamp. Unfortunately, it does not belong to me.

Ray

The owner of this case is now a BOCN member. I don't know what moniker he is using but you can probably make contact via this thread.

ray

Thanks Ray the case is mine and would like to know what a realistic value is on this case.
An interesting note I have learned is that it was made by the General Ordnance Co of Derby Ct which is 5 miles from my house where the plant was located.
Todd

Thanks Ray the case is mine and would like to know what a realistic value is on this case.
An interesting note I have learned is that it was made by the General Ordnance Co of Derby Ct which is 5 miles from my house where the plant was located.
Todd

A common question with an unfortunate answer. While rare and historically significant, it has no intrinsic or "realistic" value. There are not enough items, or demand for them, to establish one. In the end it is up to you and whomever has interest. It may go for $100, it may go for $500. That does not mean that the buyer can turn around the next day and get his money out of it. Put it on Gunbroker an hope that you can get two people with deep pockets to fight over it - then everyone else with one will think that theirs is worth just as much.