What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lead rifled round?

asterix

Hi everyone,i found this today,i've searched all over the net to try and ID it but not having much luck.If anyone can help identify it i would be very grateful.It measures 13mm long by 10mm and is slightly concave at the base.
Thanks in advance,Dave

PS,this is my first post so i hope pics upload ok!

Attachments

• IMG_1201.JPG
    IMG_1201.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 20
It could be a bullet from a muzzle loading rifle I have quite a few as my mate shoots a .45 & a .50 muzzle loading rifle and casts his own bullets and balls they look very similar. where was it found

Richard.

Hi Richard,i found it in Dorset while metal detecting.The nearest i can find is a Whitworth gun but the size isn't quite right.I'm not sure how accurately they were made,i believe Whitworths were about .45 cal,this appears to be just under 40 cal.
I always find loads of musket balls but this is an unusual one for me,the only similar round i've found was 17mm across and was a Minie ball used by the British army for 3 years from 1851 to 1853.I can only think this is later as they reduced calibre for more accuracy.
Cheers,Dave