What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a document for a Geman smoke

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
These have been around for many years now, but I have little technical info available. A local squad has recovered some and is looking for a technical document. Does anyone have anything that they can offer up? Thanks in advance.

DSC_0054.jpg

... but cyrillic markings sound East-German device.

MINENAZ16 is right: This device is a coloured smoke grenade of the army of the former 'German Democratic Republic', called the “Nationale Volksarmee” (NVA).
They come in two different versions (electric/pull wire). Yours is initiated by a pull wire, i.e. friction wire.

Unfortunately all my documents are completely in German and difficult to read. I have extracted the important information:

Smoke Grenade Black: (all data approximately)
Weight: 270 g
Delay: 2,8 – 5,5 sec
Duration of smoke: 60 sec (+/- 20sec)
Primer 0,5 g
Priming composition: 4,0 g (Lead tetroxide, Potassium nitrate, Silicon carbide, Bariumchromate, Ferrochrome)
Transfer charge: 20 g (80 % main composition mixed with gunpowder and charcoal powder)
Main smoke composition: 145 g: (3 % Silica gel, 54 % Potassium perchlorate, 40 % Naphthalene, 3 % Ammonium oxalate)

NWK_klein - Kopie.jpg
The sectional drawing shows a red smoke variant. It lacks the transfer charge.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes from Germany.

Last edited:
Is that book in the documents section of BOCN? I hate going through that web site.

Joe

Thanks everybody, that gives me what we needed.

Joe,

You don't have to 'go through' , I gave a direct link to the book :tinysmile_classes_t
Plus, now that I live in the countryside, it's really hard for me to upload something, because I have a weak internet access.

Sorry,

S.