What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice pistol

navyman

Hello all,
I've just bought this antique percussion pistol and although the design seems somehow familiar I can't think of where it originates from. The only marks I've found so far are under the barrel which looks like a crown over GM, over 462, with 36 adjacent on the frame.
Anyone have any ideas?
Kind regards,
navyman.
note this is classed as antique obsolete calibre and legal to own in the UK without license

Attachments

• fine 3a.jpg
    fine 3a.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 53
  • fine 5a.jpg
    fine 5a.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 52
Hi Navyman,I agree,nice pistol,from what I can see it looks like a crown but not the British crown,Denmark maybe or similar,I hope someone will give a positive ID on this,
Thanks for showing,
Regards,
Don,

Hello Don,
It was a bit expensive but was offered to me by a dealer friend at a reduced price as I've had good trades with him in the past and it was just too nice to resist! I've been searching all my reference books and the only picture I could find which had a slightly similar butt was a French duelling pistol, however I've still no real idea. I will start looking for Danish pistols next as that seems like a good suggestion.
Regards,
Guy.

Hi Guy,I just had a quick look on a few sites regarding your rather nice pistol,I may be correct with my guess at the crown being Danish,from what I have seen it certainly looks like the Danish crown stamped on to other firearms pictured on the sites,(one on Gunbroker now) with such a superb finish it would seem to have been very well looked after and has seen little use,what bore is it,?,I always think it is worth paying a little over the odds for a something such as your fine pistol,I doubt very much if it will go down in value,nice one,
Regards,
Don,

Hello again Don,
Thanks for that I'm pretty sure you are correct there. The pistol looks better in the hand as the photos dont really do the blueing justice, guess it's about 95% deep blue, also the bore is in first class condition. The calibre I measured as .35" but the micrometer is an Aldi job and probably not 100% accurate. Overall length is 8" so probably an overcoat pistol, it's cold in Denmark!
All best,
Guy.