What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old EOD pics

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
The family that donated the 4000lb bomb to the Bombatorium have proudly shared some of their late father's photos, showing a little of the former 48th EOD collection, a drive to collect war souvenirs, and the early treatment of the bomb which they donated as it was stood and concreted into place in their front yard - all from around 1965. Thought you might enjoy -

While a small collection, some very nice pieces of ordnance on the unit shelves. I particularly like the 105mm mortar and the Davy Crockett.

48th EOD - Cropped.jpg48th EOD - Display I - Cropped.jpg48th EOD - Display II - Cropped.jpg48th EOD - Display IV - Cropped.jpgBlockbuster in South Carolina - Cropped.jpg1965 July Aug - Bomb Raising - 3 Generations #B 2 Cropped.jpg1965 Oct - Bomb #C 11 Cropped.JPG1965 Oct - Bomb #C 4 Cropped.jpg

Great photos of a very nice family and a very special former BD/EOD officer. Could you remove the rod and end up with threads remaining?

Great photos of a very nice family and a very special former BD/EOD officer. Could you remove the rod and end up with threads remaining?

I hope so, we haven't been able to give it our full attention yet - We had a group in this weekend, and have been busy ever since the bomb came in.

The rod turns, but does not unscrew, so we are going to have to set up a straight line of pull while rotating it to see if it will come out. The rod is solid steel, approx. 2-inches. The bomb sat on this rod for some fifty years until it was hit by a car and knocked over. Not a scratch on the bomb, the rod was not bent, (concrete anchor broke) but I doubt that it did the fuze well threads any good.