What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Military Shot Shell??

Jagd301

Another one of my very old cartridges and perhaps the most unusual. This is brass with black powder filling (?) and is also filled with shot which is of larger guage than shot gun pellets. The case is of rolled construction (?) and is 70mm long with rim diameter of 18mm approx. There is a military arrow stamping near the base and i have provided close up pic of tghis marking. Its quite a heavy round and someone said pretty rare and that it could be Zulu War period shot shell intended for use against natives at close quarters. I was also told that this kind of cartridge had a habit of jamming the rifle mechanism due to its crude construction as the cases split open and snagged in the breech of the weapon. Have a look and see if you can tell me exactly what it is. Regards, Tim.

Attachments

• Old Military Shot shell one..jpg
    Old Military Shot shell one..jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Old Military shotshell arrow marking.jpg
    Old Military shotshell arrow marking.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Old Military Shotshell base..jpg
    Old Military Shotshell base..jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 36

It is a .476 Buckshot Mark II made at one of the Indian arsenals. Unfortunately I cannot read the stamp on the side of the case in your picture, but "KF" would be Kirkee, "DF" Dum Dum and "N" Northern Circuit.

The .476 was a short shouldered version of the .577/.450 Martini Henry round for issue to Indian troops, the idea being that they could not use regular .577/.450 service ball ammunition if they rebelled. The British were still fairly paranoid about the loyalty of the Indian troops after the mutiny.

The round was originally introduced with an iron base disc, but the brass disc on yours suggests manufacture in the late 1920s.

Pictures attached.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• 476.jpg
    476.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Old Military Shot Shell.

Thanks very much indeed for that info as i wasnt 100% sure on any of the previous details given on it. Fascinating stuff and its great to be able to learn something. Regards, Tim.

Here is the packet label for the Kirkee made round, dated 1929.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• .476label1.jpg
    .476label1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 8