What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified 57mm shell with expanding base

Doug

Hi

Another mystery from the Canadian War Museum.

The attached photo shows a 57mm diameter projectile, with an expanding base like a Minie rifle bullet. 57mm is the main body diameter, not the base.

The only markings are on the photo - 13C2. No broad arrow.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

DougIMG_0416.jpg

That looks like it is a "core" and not a complete projectile-interesting itm and it will be interesting to see what the experts reckon it is ?????????????????

Hi Doug, it does look very core like. What's under the tape? Is there another deep groove under the tape? I'm just thinking along the lines of a sabot being attached directly to the core. Could be completely wrong. Only a guess.
Dave.

Hi
Talk about seeing what you want to believe!
Since it was in a box with an Armstrong 6-pr RBL proj and some other nineteenth century items, I was thinking about it as a rifled muzzle loader shell.
The core suggestion is an excellent one. I shall follow that up next week at the museum.
Thanks
Doug

Core weight.

Just see how much it weighs Doug and if it feels really heavy for a piece of steel then it is almost certainly a lump of Tungsten which would rule out the era your eyes told you to expect.
If you look on the base of it it may possible have a few numbers and letters electro etched into it-makers mark and date.
Being Tungsten it will not normally be stamped and electro ethching is one of the most common methods of marking such a hard material.
I look forward to your results.

Last edited: