What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified Shells

dodgydave

A couple of shells i've been using as doorstops for many years! I thought it was time to find out what they are..
The yellow one came from a shed at a house that had laid untouched since 1947!! It's been shotblasted and painted. (The fuze was not with it; it's one I found that fitted; I was told the fuze is an 18 pdr, WW1 Canadian,1916 date and broad arrow in C)
The larger shell was being used as balast in the hull of a local boat; I would say that the corrosion around the base indicates that it's been in water for some time, fitted in its shellcase. Being solid shot, it weighs approx 25lbs(clue?)

Attachments

• shells 002.jpg
    shells 002.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 93
  • shells 003.jpg
    shells 003.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 73
  • shells 005.jpg
    shells 005.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 65
  • shells 006.jpg
    shells 006.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 73
ident

Calibre always helps identify shells even if well rusted, if the corroded one is slightly under 4in then it is probably a 4in Naval practice, British. 2pr

Oh yes! forgot the dimesions:tinysmile_angry2_t:. The larger rusty one is approx 3 1/2" (88mm) across and 10 3/4"(275mm) tall; the yellow one is 3"(72mm) across, 8 1/2" (210mm) tall,without fuze. The fuze hole is approx 2 5/8 (65mm) across.