What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown case?

navyman

Hello all,
Can someone help me i/d this case, I was told some years back but have lost the info. Please ignore the projectile, I made it on the lathe purely for decorative purposes, I've no idea what the correct one should look like.
Dimensions are;
Case length; 153.30mm.
Neck width; 16.63mm.
Headstamp; Only 21 over 73.
Any help appreciated,
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• case length 153.30mm.jpg
    case length 153.30mm.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Case neck 16.63mm.jpg
    Case neck 16.63mm.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Headstamp 21 over 73.jpg
    Headstamp 21 over 73.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 65
Right case wrong projo

14.5 Russian Produced case which is Brass washed Steel with a made up projectile as APFSDS states.
Projectiles have a very definite profile for this ammunition.
Pictured are Russian 14.5 mm API (top)
and 14.5 mm API Chinese (bottom)

Both are fully inert and de-cored and legal to own.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 20
Hungary produced it's 14.5 at factory "25" which is Hajduhadhaz-Teglas.

The "21" here is the Romanian "Uzinale Metalurgica Di Copsa Mica Si Cugir" in Transylvania.

Thanks EOD I was wondering about Romania,so this one should be a 'brass' case and not a steel brass washed case?
I know that the Hungarian factory 21 made 7.62x54R ammo,the Polish 21 would either be in a circle or the date orentated the other way round,ie upside down in realation to the 21 and was fairly sure that Romania produced in steel laqured or 'brass' cases....so plumped for Hungary.

Cheers
Tony

SMLE, correct, it is brass. Later Romania switched to laquered steel.

Polish 14.5 I have only seen in steel cases so far and of course with the date upside down.

The thing is that every communist country started numbering it's factories beginning with "1". This is the reason for some of the confusion.