What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very Old Russian (?) Cartridge?

Jagd301

Does anyone out there know for sure what this cartridge is? I was told its Russian and very old as bullet is paper patched. Case is brass, primer unstruck and no headstamping. Looks quite large calibre bullet 13-14mm at a guess. Its not really my thing and was aquired many years ago. Regards, Tim.

Last edited:
I don't think it's Russian. It looks a bit like Berdan cartridge but that has 11mm diameter bullet. Also the neck is quite long to be Berdan.
The previous Russian service caliber was over 15mm and straight case, so this one does not fit in line.

Hi Tim,case length and actual bullet diameter would be a great help with this one.However,there are quite a few modern versions of old paper patched rounds on the market.

Regards Chris.

Russian?

As Chris said, an accurate measurement of the bullet diameter, the case length and the head and rim diameter will help identify it. There are so many approximately 11mm black powder cartridges that the only way to differentiate them is by accurate measurement.

I don't think it is a modern production round, and if forced to make a guess, I would say possibly Turkish Martini Peabody, but let us wait for the measurements.

Regards
TonyE

Very Old Cartridge.

Right here goes the case length is approx 57mm, complete round length is approx 75mm and the rim diameter approx 15mm. Calibre is around the 11mm mark. Will have to excuse the above as all done with ruler but should be bang on the money! This round was discovered in an old run down house many years ago in Broadway. Was around 12 at time and the house was empty with broken windows and curiosity being the name of the game we climed in to have look round. Found this in otherwise empty outhouse out the back. The house had been empty some time its previous occupants an old lady and her son. Regards and over to you guys.

It does look as if it's got a bit of age about it,Tony,it'll be interesting to find out what it is.I might be able to get Tim to part with it,and I'd use it to replace one of the patched rounds I've already got that have most certainly not had as many birthdays as I've had!!!!

11mm

Based on the measurements given, the nearest equivalent is the 11mm Spanish Remington for their Rolling Block rifles. The case length of these was 57mm, overall length was 75mm, but the rim diameter was 16.3mm.

The picture of the case head could be a Remington-UMC made round or a Spanish one. The brass cap would fit with either of those.

However, it really needs accurate measurements, down to at least a tenth of a millimetre, to be sure.

It is certainly not a British military round, and the brass cap is an almost certain identifier of a foreign made cartridge.

Regards
TonyE