What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this brass cap ?

charley777

Hello..can anyone help to identify this brass cap? It appears to have a swastika on the end and is inert. It does quite well as a dust cap for a 60pr shrapnel(?) shell. Right hand female thread. Thanks very much..

Attachments

• IMG_1916.JPG
    IMG_1916.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1917.JPG
    IMG_1917.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1918.JPG
    IMG_1918.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2005.JPG
    IMG_2005.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2006.JPG
    IMG_2006.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 51
Naval fuze cap...

Hello charley777,

You have a U.S. navy protective fuze cap used on projectiles of 5-inch and larger. The manufacturing foundries letters of HE are what is usually visible on the tip of the cap. I believe your swastika appearing stamping is a possible result of someones clever tampering.

Best regards,

Randall

Attachments

• P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010010.JPG
    P1010010.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 38
The swastika was an old good luck symbol from india before the Nazi party hijacked it. Could the cap be pre ww2?
Cheers
Hangarman

The Original Meaning
The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix. Until the Nazis used this symbol, the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and good luck.

Ok so im not totally correct,its not originally from india, but you get my gist. It was not originally a Nazi symbol, its a symbol of good luck.
Hangarman

Nosecap

Thanks Shelldude...great information...wasn't even sure if it was ordnance-related. A mate thought it might be from the Fire Brigade. And yes, i'm sure you are right about the "modification" into an apparent swastika.
And yes thanks Hangarman....as it happens, i spent 10 years in India and am very aware that the Svastik was "captured" by the Nazis...but it is good to remind everyone that the symbol (which was used both ways round) in itself is inherently "good".. once again , the BOCN forum has provided answers .....THANKS AGAIN