What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's this in my garden bunker?

wega3k

Hello. We bought a 1937 semi in Sheffield a couple of years ago with a pretty good size bunker under the middle of the back garden with a thick concrete roof. We are maybe 1/2 a mile south of steelworks at Stocksbridge. Is it conceivable there could have been an anti-aircraft gun at the end of our garden and ammunition would have been kept in the bunker? This is what the previous owner led us to believe. Also, can somebody identify this and how do I know if it's safe?

P1020337.jpg

P1020338.jpg

P1020339.jpg

I don't want to dissapoint you but this is a modern 2 Inch mortar round with a very unusual nose section on it (and it should not be there):tinysmile_shy_t:
However it looks very interesting, maybe something for Hollywood?

Ahhh, yes. Looking at it again I see how foreign the nose section looks. The previous occupier did have a couple of lathes so I wouldn't be surprised if it's something he fashioned himself.

Hello wega3k, without seeing photos, plan or dimensions of your bunker its difficult to identify it.
I'd guess from its location in your backgarden that its a privately built air raid shelter.
Any chance of some pictures?

Quatermass.

Ahhh, yes. Looking at it again I see how foreign the nose section looks. The previous occupier did have a couple of lathes so I wouldn't be surprised if it's something he fashioned himself.

Yeah,looks like someone was trying to 'yank your chain' buddy?:xd:

all well that ends well then eh!

cheers

waff

It looks to me like the body of a spent 2" Illuminating mortar (hollow with the nose blown off) painted green with a brass bit shoved in. Is the brass nose soild? If it is it must be very heavy.

Thanks for all your replies guys.

Falcon - yes it is heavy, I think it's solid or nearly solid. Quartermass - Will post photos of the bunker tomorrow.

Hi Quartermass. The bunker is 10ft x 10ft. The roof is 8 inch thick concrete and appears to be reinforced with metalwork. It is perhaps just over 6ft high inside. Besides the main stairs there is a very small hatch in one corner with a ladder. Here are some photos...

P1020345.jpg

P1020346.jpg

P1020349.jpg

P1020351.jpg

Hello again wega3k, looks like a non standard (private) domestic shelter. I'd imagine its contemporary with the Munich crisis of September 1938.
There were a number of comercial designs drawn up between 1937-39 for blast and splinterproof shelters. Yours appears to be a 'budget' version, smaller, without a gas lock or latrine.
The small hatch is the emergency exit for use if the main entrance was blocked with debris, the traversed entrance offered some protection from blast.
Your roof if thicker than that used in the standard design of domestic surface shelters built by local authorities from May 1939 (5in rather than your 8in) the overall size is also larger than the offical domestic shelter which had an internal space of 4'6" x 6'6".

Quatermass.

bunker mentality

wish I had one of those in my garden - swap it for a few flowers?! Dave

Attachments

• 000_3699.jpg
    000_3699.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 52
Superb mate !!! you lucky sod. Poss air raid shelter, have seen similar on some air fields. Or poss civil defence, but im going with the first, as has no protective blast wall for a ammo store.
Regards,
Clive.

Fantastic. Many thanks for your input, very interesting. I think I just need to put some hand rails around the entrance as it's all too easy to fall into when you're working in the garden.

Space to keep ?

It would make a good store for all those desirable collectables none of us have any room to keep them in.
It looks like even after all those years it is still in very good condition.

Guys,

That little bunker looks to me like the AAA command posts I have seen on Cape York here in Aus.

I would not be surprised if that's what it turned out to be. The dimensions look to be correct as is the placement of the hatch and main entry. Take a look around the sides for the remains of cabling.

Also take a look around nearby for other ammunition stores bunkers and the remains of an octagonal gun pad. Probably not in your yard though...

Just to make it all the more interesting, the specific design is US. The ones I have seen were all built to US specs even though some units that used them were Australian.