What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1.1"/75 cal (28 mm) naval projectile

Whalllla!!!

Then suddenly! Whalllla!!! its alive.....hahahahaha:congrats:
Those difficult & tiring hours pay its price, when you see it spring to life... EnD

Hope you enjoyed... Thanks again for your support my dear friends

Attachments

• 13052009(006).jpg
    13052009(006).jpg
    25 KB · Views: 24
  • 13052009(007).jpg
    13052009(007).jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 13052009(008).jpg
    13052009(008).jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 25
1.1in US

Shelldude, nice photo of thread gauge and fuze, at 1.25mm its not what I would call standard metric assuming the dia is around 20mm. Can I assume US fuze threads are like UK ones and odd sizes.?
Youngbrain, started to turn mine from 32mm solid bar but took ages getting the sizes by scaling drawings etc, no two seemed to be the same. Am making a pair of projectiles as the lathe is set up it wont take much longer and will keep the best looking for my case.
2pr

1.1"/75 cal projectile

Hello 2pounder,

Regarding U.S. vs. U.K. fuze thread sizes, your assumption is correct. I don't know why this particular U.S. fuze thread could be measured in metric thread pitch instead of the more common thread per inch (tpi) method used here in the U.S. Good luck on your projectile, send a photo if you can. Best regards, Randall

Shelldude, nice photo of thread gauge and fuze, at 1.25mm its not what I would call standard metric assuming the dia is around 20mm. Can I assume US fuze threads are like UK ones and odd sizes.?
Youngbrain, started to turn mine from 32mm solid bar but took ages getting the sizes by scaling drawings etc, no two seemed to be the same. Am making a pair of projectiles as the lathe is set up it wont take much longer and will keep the best looking for my case.
2pr

Wow, post your working progress sir...Please share us tips & we also want to see how you work on them... Wishing you the best! Regards

andrew

Thanks Sir Falcon, hope you enjoyed viewing... I'll be posting more as long as i obtain new shells w/o projectile, i'm happy to replicate & post again in the future. Best regards...andrew

Am making a pair of projectiles as the lathe is set up it wont take much longer and will keep the best looking for my case.
2pr
If I were you I'd make a few more, in case you find any other cases. Some people (me, anyway!) would prefer to have a round with a well-made replica projectile than just an empty case.

Do you have a lathe at home or did you make the projectile at work?

Hi Sir Falcon, Yes, i do own a 3in1 mill/drill/lathe which i bought way back 2004 when i was in my 2nd year college... It was very usefull to me when i was still in school doing machine design projects, working scale models of escalators,lifts...etc... Now it makes me some money specially when my classmate who's employed in a known electronic company brings damage machine parts for repair or delicate part fabrications to me.:)
I have no regret investing my school allowance to have this piece of machine...:)

Best regards;
andrew

Hi Sir Chris... Thanks for your comment. I'm so happy you liked it, as i said before i'll try to post new works as soon as i obtain new shells w/o a projectile & it will be my pleasure to share it to all of BOCN. Thanks a lot!
Best regards;
andrew

1.1in replica projectiles

At last I've completed my replicas, turned from solid bar including the brass driving band, it took a long while. Advice for others making replicas (if its needed) that is where ever possible borrow or get access to an origonal that you can measure as it saves a lot of mucking about. I had problems with getting the 'fuzes' to come out right because of the angles not matching up with the lengths and diameter at the end. Printing and possibley computer enlarging stretches things not purely makes them bigger so that the scale can change left to right and along the length of the picture, thats my excuse.
2pr

Attachments

• 1.1in US.JPG
    1.1in US.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 31
1.1in/75 naval AA replica projectile

Hello 2pounder,

THANKS for the photograph of your completed new projectiles. You did a MAGNIFICENT job machining the replica! The original rounds are rare even here in the U.S. so you now can complete your empty brass casing. Best regards, Randall

!

SWEET:tinysmile_shy_t:!!! I'm totally impressed.... CONGRATULATIONS, just done on with your projectile complete with the tracer cavity... Question: how did you came up with the beautiful rotating band? :)

regards;
andrew

1.1in replica projectiles

The brass band is a press fit on the lower part of proj. diameter and butts up to the larger dia front part, see tech spec. picture on earlier post re shell dia and bourollet dia. I could not try to swage a brass band into a smaller dia groove like proper shells. Turning etc all done on my Clarke lathe at home, hours and hours of work but if you haven't a job it made a nice project although should really have been doing something else.
2pr