What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 X 155/RG GAU-7A CTA round

Crunchysuperman,

What state is this former factory located in? When I saw the conveyor through the drying ovens, it reminded me of the washing rooms and drying rooms for a powder coating operation. You might be able to sell that equipment to people doing powder coating or installing equipment, or rent that building out to someone doing that type of thing. There are companies that sell used manufacturing equipment and automation like that.

Funny you should mention that, as we removed most of the conveyor a couple of weeks ago for that very purpose. We own a small manufacturing company that machines & fabricates various parts for various types of industry. More and more of the parts require paint, and it's becoming necessary to install a method of conveying parts in & out of our existing paint booth.

The 'ol place comes in handy for such things. :)

Was out walking the dogs last night and thought I'd grab a few more shots.

More of the test fire building:
IMG_20131121_170804_389_653x490.jpg

IMG_20131121_170841_137_653x490.jpg

IMG_20131121_171017_437_653x490.jpg

IMG_20131121_171110_314_653x490.jpg

The elements have not been kind to it.

A look downrange to what was the target area, now covered in small trees:

IMG_20131121_170859_866_653x490.jpg

A closer look reveals a line of posts driven into the ground. I assume this was part of some target support structure.

IMG_20131121_171419_800_653x490.jpg

This was the lab facility. Presumably all the cartridge tests for temperature, pressure, humidity, etc. were done here. As you can see, it's now part of a corral. :)

IMG_20131121_172915_275_653x490.jpg

IMG_20131121_173041_180_653x490.jpg

I wonder what kind of projectiles a person might find with a metal detector in the target back stop?:tinysmile_tongue_t:

Update:

Took my metal detector & a small spade over to the farm this afternoon & did a little prospecting. Turns out the other side of the mound behind the target area is simply littered with fragments about 4-6 inches down. I could likely fill buckets of the stuff. No complete rounds of course, but pretty neat anyway.

From this kind of damage, one would assume the target must have been a substantial steel plate. You can see the upper right piece has what is either a counterbore or is the result of the round passing through the target plate. Who knows.

rsz_img_1385.jpg

If you look closely at the two pieces in the center, you can see there's part of a plastic casing still attached. These must have been from some of the later experiments with polymer cased rounds.

A closer look at the plastic casing.
rsz_img_1386.jpg

Hi Crunchy,Many thanks for taking the time to research,photograh and dig for information on this,had this been in the UK everything moveable would have vanished on the back of white Transit pickups long ago,it would be very interesting to go detecting/digging in the backstop/butts,I am sure they hold some interesting projos,
Again,Many thanks,
Regards,
Don,

Just stumbled onto this thread. I was stationed at Eglin in the late 1970s and visited the gun/ammo people often through the early 1990s. Got to know Dale Davis pretty well. Eglin had LOTS of the 25mm blue tip TP rounds similar to the one Tony W illustrates near the beginning of this thread. During the 70s through early 90s (when the gun/ammo business was shut down in the Armament Lab) Eglin did most of their lab testing in 25mm because they had so many projectiles and because the test results could generally be scaled up to 30mm or down to 25mm. As late as 1991, the lab was doing work on high velocity aircraft guns in 25mm with a much broader engagement envelope in air-to-air combat. The ammo for these guns was a 25mm fully telescoped round with an aluminum or thin steel case, very much like the GAU-7 round.

When the Eglin Lab went out of the gun business all the 25mm PR projectiles went to the burial pit. I was fortunate enough to pick up a fair number of 4 or 5 variations of the TP loads. These are minor variations, and I think I still have a few if you'd like me to post photos, I could dig some out.

Just stumbled onto this thread. I was stationed at Eglin in the late 1970s and visited the gun/ammo people often through the early 1990s. Got to know Dale Davis pretty well. Eglin had LOTS of the 25mm blue tip TP rounds similar to the one Tony W illustrates near the beginning of this thread. During the 70s through early 90s (when the gun/ammo business was shut down in the Armament Lab) Eglin did most of their lab testing in 25mm because they had so many projectiles and because the test results could generally be scaled up to 30mm or down to 25mm. As late as 1991, the lab was doing work on high velocity aircraft guns in 25mm with a much broader engagement envelope in air-to-air combat. The ammo for these guns was a 25mm fully telescoped round with an aluminum or thin steel case, very much like the GAU-7 round.

When the Eglin Lab went out of the gun business all the 25mm PR projectiles went to the burial pit. I was fortunate enough to pick up a fair number of 4 or 5 variations of the TP loads. These are minor variations, and I think I still have a few if you'd like me to post photos, I could dig some out.

Hi, would love to see the photos please.
Thanks.
Dave.

Here are the six basic variations of the TP load. These were actively used for Post-GAU-7 testing at Eglin, including quite a number loaded into necked down GAU-8 cases. I also found some in a pit with a copper drive band instead of plastic. These had rusted a bit. I don't know if I even have any of these left.

If you are seriously interested in this cartridge, drop me a note. I can give you a source of some reference information.

Cheers,
Lew

Attachments

• GAU-7-Proj.jpg
    GAU-7-Proj.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 48
Here are the six basic variations of the TP load. These were actively used for Post-GAU-7 testing at Eglin, including quite a number loaded into necked down GAU-8 cases. I also found some in a pit with a copper drive band instead of plastic. These had rusted a bit. I don't know if I even have any of these left.

If you are seriously interested in this cartridge, drop me a note. I can give you a source of some reference information.

Cheers,
Lew

Have a PDF of about 60+ pages of information I compiled on the GAU-7 ammo. If you are interested, drop me a note with your email address and I will send it to you.

Cheers,
Lew

Kinda brining this back from the dead. Those are awesome pics Crunchysuperman, I would spend days there exploring. I was wondering how hard it would be to find a "case" for one of these projectiles? The projectiles are easily found, but I never see cases.

Kinda brining this back from the dead. Those are awesome pics Crunchysuperman, I would spend days there exploring. I was wondering how hard it would be to find a "case" for one of these projectiles? The projectiles are easily found, but I never see cases.

Its much easier to find complete rounds.

Dave.

I've never found anything complete. Not to say they didn't likely bury some complete ordnance over there somewhere, but there's no way to ever find where, and I wouldn't want to go digging for any to be honest. Who knows what manner of chemicals I'd uncover.

Snapped a few shots the other day. What a great zombie apocalypse flick you could probably make over there. :)

rsz_2img_1405.jpg

rsz_img_1409.jpg

rsz_img_1412.jpg
[/QUOTE]