What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30mm rounds for Apache

SG500

Premium Member
I understand these are the 30mm rounds used in the Apache helecopter.

Has anyone else got any pictures of these types of rounds they can share?

Both inert and marked "dummy" etc.

Dave.

Attachments

• 31 May 09 006.jpg
    31 May 09 006.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 133
Here is a write of or sorts:

A primary warfighting munition for the Apache attack helicopter is the 30mm M789 high-explosive dual-purpose round. Considered the armament of choice for soft and light armor targets, it is fired from the M230E1 cannon at rates in excess of 600 rounds per minute. Unfortunately, the round has experienced low-order, in-bore detonations and hang fires periodically that have damaged the M230E1 cannon in incidents dating back to the 1970s. Several failure investigations were conducted in the 1980s and 1990s to determine the cause, mm resulting in design changes to the fuze, ignition system and moisture seals.

Thanks guys, is that more of you handy work Spotter, very nice.
Anyone know the significance of the red case?
Dave.

yes its one i cut last year,think i have a spare cartridge somewhere ,you can have it if you want ...

Ooo yes please, can't say no to an offer like that. Strangely enough my 11 year old son has got into shells also, I'm a bad influence so I'm sure he'd like it!
Thanks.
Dave.

no problem,itll have to wait till i get home,ill send you a pm as soon as i find it for you

I understand these are the 30mm rounds used in the Apache helecopter.

Has anyone else got any pictures of these types of rounds they can share?

Both inert and marked "dummy" etc.

Dave.

For what its worth. I scanned this from my copy of Janes 04-05 Ammunition Handbooks

Attachments

• Ammunition for M230 Chain Gun_Janes.jpg
    Ammunition for M230 Chain Gun_Janes.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 85
Thanks Marty, I'm surprised how cheap the rounds are at $11 each for the TP but then if they're firing off 600 per minute that works out at $6600 a minute (not that they would as presumably the gun would melt).

Dave.

Just a couple of photos of Apache rounds and drill items. All inert. I will post some DEFA round photos tomorrow.

John

Attachments

• Apache rounds.JPG
    Apache rounds.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Apache CU.JPG
    Apache CU.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Apache Cases.JPG
    Apache Cases.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Apache drill cases.jpg
    Apache drill cases.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 46
Awesome Haz....Glad to see you loosen up a bitty bit,Lol:xd: Or should I say a bitty bit more.Beautiful rounds.
This is the full extent of my 30mm shorts.Im not sure why someone jammed one of the projectiles onto a long shell,and I havent gotten it off yet.A project for the future.

Attachments

• TP 30mm 003.jpg
    TP 30mm 003.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 37
  • TP 30mm 004.jpg
    TP 30mm 004.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 195.jpg
    195.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Question Lou

Awesome Haz....Glad to see you loosen up a bitty bit,Lol:xd: Or should I say a bitty bit more.Beautiful rounds.
This is the full extent of my 30mm shorts.Im not sure why someone jammed one of the projectiles onto a long shell,and I havent gotten it off yet.A project for the future.

Lou, what is the purpose of the large radiused groove near the bottom of the case - is it to position a link ???

To Lou and Hazord=very nice items gentlemen !

So there is no kinetic energy round for the M230? I guess I always assumed there some form of APCR or APFSDS round fired by the Apache's cannon ala the M791 or M919 fired by the Bradleys 25mm main gun. However it looks like the M230 uses only HEAT as a close in armor defeating projectile (Hellfire being a stand-off missile).

Last edited:
Just a couple of photos of Apache rounds and drill items. All inert. I will post some DEFA round photos tomorrow.

John

Now you're talking, fantastic group of rounds John, they really do display well. Thanks for showing them. They seem to be a bit tricky to find this side of the pond.
Dave.

Lou, what is the purpose of the large radiused groove near the bottom of the case - is it to position a link ???

To Lou and Hazord=very nice items gentlemen !
To be honest with you I dont really know.Id venture a guess as a yes,but Im limited on this newer stuff.Ive just recently been bidding on and picking up items I would normally ignore.Looks like I have some studying to do.Id bet some of the other guys could answer that question though!!!

Inerted 30mm TP round.
The manual states alloy case, but this one is steel.
cheers Bob.

Attachments

• IMGP0382.jpg
    IMGP0382.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 25
Not Apache ,but a variety of 30s.

30/20 ?
30 Aden LV
30 mm Defa -Australia
30 mm Defa -Israel

cheers Bob.

Attachments

• IMGP0362.jpg
    IMGP0362.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 47
The groove might have been for some type of link or indexing, but the only cannon rounds I have seen 3omm and larger with link grooves are the 35mm. I have never seen a GAU-8 or GAU-9 case with a groove like that before, and it is much wider than a typical link groove.

As to why the Apache TP is in a GAU case, it is a marketing thing. The "salesman" had no knowledge of the proper case/projo combination and no inclination to learn, but the hole and projo were close, so why not force them together?

As far as why there is no APDS projo for the Apache, it is a much slower round than the 25mm or 30mm GAU rounds, so APDS doesn't work as efficiently as HEDP shaped charge rounds. The DP stands for dual purpose which means armor piercing plus high explosive/frag. The Apache wasn't designed as an antitank specific machine as much as the A-10 Warthog. The Apache is set up as an overall battlefield flying artillery piece, with Hellfire missiles and 2.75 inch antiarmor submunition rockets. The 2.75 inch rockets also include flares for battlefield illum, WP-smoke for screening and incendiary, and a flechette round for antihelicopter use, besides the 3 sizes of HE rockets. Did I mention that it also carries stingers for air-to-air defense?

The 30mm gun is for destroying lighter skinned items that the pilot doesn't want to waste a rocket or missile on.

Last edited: