What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30mm rounds for Apache

Not Apache ,but a variety of 30s.

30/20 ?
30 Aden LV
30 mm Defa -Australia
30 mm Defa -Israel

cheers Bob.

Nice rounds, can you take some close ups of the 20mm on the left please, first impression is a 20/30 Aden but the neck looks too short. Measurements would be great also if possible.
Thanks.
Dave.

The groove might have been for some type of link or indexing, but the only cannon rounds I have seen 3omm and larger with link grooves are the 35mm. I have never seen a GAU-8 or GAU-9 case with a groove like that before, and it is much wider than a typical link groove.

As to why the Apache TP is in a GAU case, it is a marketing thing. The "salesman" had no knowledge of the proper case/projo combination and no inclination to learn, but the hole and projo were close, so why not force them together?

As far as why there is no APDS projo for the Apache, it is a much slower round than the 25mm or 30mm GAU rounds, so APDS doesn't work as efficiently as HEDP shaped charge rounds. The DP stands for dual purpose which means armor piercing plus high explosive/frag. The Apache wasn't designed as an antitank specific machine as much as the A-10 Warthog. The Apache is set up as an overall battlefield flying artillery piece, with Hellfire missiles and 2.75 inch antiarmor submunition rockets. The 2.75 inch rockets also include flares for battlefield illum, WP-smoke for screening and incendiary, and a flechette round for antihelicopter use, besides the 3 sizes of HE rockets. Did I mention that it also carries stingers for air-to-air defense?

The 30mm gun is for destroying lighter skinned items that the pilot doesn't want to waste a rocket or missile on.
Took a bit but the 30mm came out of the case.Someone used locktite. Just about knocked myself in the chin,again:xd: .SALESMEN PLEASE!!! Just because the holes are close in size dosent mean you should force the issue,and glue them!!!Someones chin or forehead may be at stake!!!!!

So now Ive two homeless "Apache"TP projectiles.I heard someone had spares and might be able to pony one or two up.Hmmm

Going to hang on to the grooved case till I get it figured out,been giving away to much x stuff lately.I know a guy that wants it,he has dibs.

Now its off to Wickpedia for me,to do some learnin!!

Thanks Haz

Lou,

You are always welcome. Here are a couple of hints that might help with your "studying". First, be very wary of Wikipedia. It is often written by uninformed with nothing better to do. Anyone can write trash for wikipedia.

Best method: Go to Google or whatever search engine you prefer. key in the M number of the round or projectile you want info on. For instance, a search for M788 brings up:

http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m788.htm

fas.org has a huge amount of ordnance info. If you go to the address listed above, you see the info on that round. If you look at the bottom of the page, you will see that the next level up their menu is 30mm ammo. If you click on that it will take you back one menu level to show all the 30mm stuff the 30 X 113 and the 30 X 173. Going back a level in menu will take you to land warfare, where you can go down a different path to tank ammo for instance. Always just try to see what you get by typing in the M number of round, projectile, case, fuze, etc.

Good hunting.

Based on my research for my Desert Storm book, I believe the main problem with this ammunition was actually the feed mechanism, which wasn't robust enough to deal with the friction caused by a full load of rounds moving through the system. Jams were the frequent result which some units overcame by accepting less than full loads.

Dave Mason

Should have waited on the previous post and included this...so much for efficiency!

For more on the M230's problems see: Richard Davis, GAO/NSIAD 92-146, General Accounting Office, 1992

available at GAO.gov

Dave Mason

Thanks again Haz.Theres enough info there to make my brain go:alberteinstein:
But then I like it when my brain does that.

Nice rounds, can you take some close ups of the 20mm on the left please, first impression is a 20/30 Aden but the neck looks too short. Measurements would be great also if possible.
Thanks.
Dave.

Hi Dave ,

i've got this listed and drawn by R.Leiendecker as a "30/20 mm USN Experimental".
Case is a brass 30 x 126mm with a 20mm adapter sweated at top.the proj is a standard m55a2 TP,just a tight fit.
listed in 'Big Bore Ammunition' as "20 x 141B 20mm exp.,2pc. case 1974 USA".
I guess its a concept dummy ,any ideas?

cheeers Bob.

Finally got the camera in front of the DEFA rounds. The blue one on the left is Oerlikon, the white one from Israel, and I believe all the rest are FN.

Attachments

• DEFA Rounds 1C.jpg
    DEFA Rounds 1C.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 59
Some nice rounds shown here.

A representative inert M789 HEDP is high on my list of wants, but they do indeed seem rare on this side of the Pond. I have a selection of Defa and Aden rounds from various countries (and also an unusual Swiss 25mm experimental version - see the pic below) but I've never seen one of the helo rounds for sale.
MCRel4.jpg

Hi Dave ,

i've got this listed and drawn by R.Leiendecker as a "30/20 mm USN Experimental".
Case is a brass 30 x 126mm with a 20mm adapter sweated at top.the proj is a standard m55a2 TP,just a tight fit.
listed in 'Big Bore Ammunition' as "20 x 141B 20mm exp.,2pc. case 1974 USA".
I guess its a concept dummy ,any ideas?

cheeers Bob.

Drooooolll, oh that one is nice, I've not heard of that one before, any chance of a decent photo of the top part of it please?
Dave.

Finally got the camera in front of the DEFA rounds. The blue one on the left is Oerlikon, the white one from Israel, and I believe all the rest are FN.

Very nice Bob, I like the intermediate (30 X 97) DEFA on the left.

Dave.

Some nice rounds shown here.

A representative inert M789 HEDP is high on my list of wants, but they do indeed seem rare on this side of the Pond. I have a selection of Defa and Aden rounds from various countries (and also an unusual Swiss 25mm experimental version - see the pic below) but I've never seen one of the helo rounds for sale.
MCRel4.jpg
Sorry Tony I'm being a bit thick here, what's the "helo" round?
Dave.

I believe he is referring to the Apache helicopter rounds, particularly the HEDP.

John