What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm Japanese?

Japanese 37mm

Hi Darren, :tinysmile_shy_t:
I have a Word ducument that I have compiled from different sources on the 37mm Japanese. This weekend when I get time I will play with it in order to post it here. The document is pretty big so it will take me some time. It will answer all of your questions plus more.
Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE :tinysmile_shy_t:

I have a Word ducument that I have compiled from different sources on the 37mm Japanese. This weekend when I get time I will play with it in order to post it here. The document is pretty big so it will take me some time. It will answer all of your questions plus more.
Cheers,

Hi Bougainville,

Thank you, i will look foward to having a good read.

Darren

The projectiles are indeed French

And I guess were put into the cases because they fit, not an uncommon thing. The fuses look like 1915, L32 15 & L111 15, if I read them correctly. Are there any markings on the projectile bodies ? I think I can help you with the proper case year wise. Drop me a line, Will check when I get home.

And I guess were put into the cases because they fit, not an uncommon thing. The fuses look like 1915, L32 15 & L111 15, if I read them correctly. Are there any markings on the projectile bodies ? I think I can help you with the proper case year wise. Drop me a line, Will check when I get home.

Hi Gspragge,
Yes the fuzes are stamped L111 15 & L32 15, Each projectile has one tiny symbol stamped just above the driving band, both have different symbols (can be seen in the photos)

If you do have a couple of correct cases for the projectiles i would definatly be interested.

Thanks,
Darren

The chaps have rallied round on this Darren as I guessed they would,I now
know a little about things Japanese that I didn't,before yesterday.
Gordon will soon sort you out with a couple of French cases,the Japanese
projectiles may be a little trickier to find,but I wish you the best of luck in
your quest.
Regards Chris.

The chaps have rallied round on this Darren as I guessed they would,I now
know a little about things Japanese that I didn't,before yesterday.
Gordon will soon sort you out with a couple of French cases,the Japanese
projectiles may be a little trickier to find,but I wish you the best of luck in
your quest.
Regards Chris.

Chris, Thank you for your time and help. As for the french cases that would be great. Japanese projectiles i know will be a little hard to come by but there is always hope in the future.

Any idea specificaly what Japanese projectiles i need to look out for to match these cases?

Darren

I'm afraid that I'm way out of my depth with this Darren,the various projectile types are depicted in several of the postings in this thread.
The only Japanese rounds that I come across are for the 47mm Boat Gun
if you fancied a Japanese flavour to your collection,there is a couple of them on SA at the moment.

I'm afraid that I'm way out of my depth with this Darren,the various projectile types are depicted in several of the postings in this thread.
The only Japanese rounds that I come across are for the 47mm Boat Gun
if you fancied a Japanese flavour to your collection,there is a couple of them on SA at the moment.

No problem, i will read back through the posts and take a good look at the various projectiles etc, i just wanted to make sure that i am looking for the correct ones as i also do not know all that much about Japanese rounds.

Thanks again,
Darren

Watch the Gun Broker Auction site

They have an ordnance section, sometimes loose projectiles show up.

37 mm japanese land service

37 MM LAND SERVICE AMMUNITION

The Army used no less than eight different 37mm guns all told, encompassing five case types. The projectiles they fired were, for the most part, common to all of them. The oldest and smallest of these designs was the 11 Year Type Infantry gun, which was copied from an American design the U.S. M1916 37mm gun. This was adopted in 1922 (Taisho 11). Although obsolescent before World War II, it was used in all theatres of operations and has the widest variety of known loads. As already stated the case of this ammunition was used for the Ho203 aircraft cannon. A somewhat longer version of this was the Type 94 Tank. The Type 94 Anti‑tank gun is probably the most commonly encountered 37mm nowadays. This is a larger case configuration altogether and was adopted for the Type 98 Tank and Type 100 Tank guns as well. Finally, there were two rounds characterised by their length, the Type 97 Anti‑tank and one copied from a German design, the Type 1 Tank and similar Type 1 Anti‑tank. The table below gives the identification markings on these different cases together, with base diameter and length.

37mm (Land Service) Case Identification

CHART GOES HERE

* Since the type 94 antitank, type 98 tank, and type 100 tank guns use the same cartridge case, cases will be found marked for individual guns or for all three guns.

** The cases for the type 97 and type 1 antitank guns can be distinguished by the fact that the type 97 is almost straight, whereas the type 1 has a pronounced neck. The type 1 tank and type 1 antitank guns use the same case.

All these cases except for the Type 1 Tank and Anti‑Tank take the standard Year 40 Type screw‑in primer, most of which exhibit the markings of Tokyo or Osaka Arsenals. The undesignated primer on the Type 1 case is larger than the Type 40. Propellant in the two smaller cases is large square flake nitro‑cellulose. All the larger designs have large cylindrical nitro‑cellulose contained in a silk bag, stencilled with the appropriate markings for the gun to be used in, which has a black powder­ igniter in a small bag sewn to the bottom. All except the Type 11 contain a small piece of lead tinfoil to act as a de‑coppering agent.

342 Diagram & dimensions of Japanese Army 37mm Cartridge for Type 94 Tank Gun.

343 Diagram & dimensions of Japanese Army 37mm Cartridge for Type 94 Anti-Tank Gun, Type 98 Tank Gun & Type 100 Tank Gun.

344 Diagram & dimensions of Japanese Army 37mm Cartridge for Type 97 Anti-Tank Gun.

345 Diagram & dimensions of Japanese Army 37mm Cartridge for Type 1 Tank Gun & Type 1 Anti-Tank Gun.

Attachments

• BOCN 343.jpg
    BOCN 343.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 16
  • BOCN 344.jpg
    BOCN 344.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 16
  • BOCN 345.jpg
    BOCN 345.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 14
  • BOCN 342.jpg
    BOCN 342.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 19
  • BOCN 37MM CASE MARKINGS.jpg
    BOCN 37MM CASE MARKINGS.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Two explosive projectiles are known, the oldest being the 13 Year Type which is readily identified by its large nose fuze. Although replaced by the later and much more common Type 94 explosive this projectile is known both in the 11 Year Infantry and Type 94 Tank gun cases. The Type 94 explosive uses the standard Type 93 fuze found on 20mm ammunition. A practice version of this projectile uses black powder instead of the picric acid/TNT filling on the full load.

All the other projectiles are armour‑piercing, mostly with base fuzed explosive fillings, which begin with a 12 Year Type AP/HE. The full load for this has a TNT filling and uses the Type 12 base fuze. A practice version substitutes black powder for this explosive.

This was followed by a Type 94 AP/HE which had a picric acid filling and Type 94 base fuze, which is probably the commonest of all the AP projectiles. A practice version of this has the HE cavity filled with sand and closed by a metal plug instead of the fuze An alternative training load used, as far as is known, only in the Type 94 tank gun, was the Type 96 armour‑piercing projectile. This was apparently a Type 12 with the long internal cavity filled with sand and metal base plug.

Finally, there is the Type 1 AP/HE projectile base on a similar German design which is noticeably shorter and more rounded in the olgive than the others. This has a filling of R.D.X. and paraffin wax and utilises the Type 1 base fuze.

In addition to the above, blanks are known for the 11 Year Infantry and Type 94 Tank guns. No details are forthcoming on these but they may have had no projectile and just a card and wad seal.

The HE round is provided with a small, short‑delay nose fuze. The radius of burst of the high­-explosive shell is not large and, consequently, not considered dangerous except at the point of impact or in a small enclosure directly penetrated.

The armour‑piercing projectile can pene­trate 1.32 inches of armour plate in a direct hit at 1,000 Yards, or 0.96 inch if the shot hits at a 30 degree angle. A base fuze is used with the armour-­piercing projectile.

Length:
Total 9 inches
Projectile 43/4 inches
Shell 51/4 inches
Diameter:
Projectile 17/16 inches (37mm)
Shell base 1 13/16 inches
Projectile: hollow steel armour piecing high explosive round.

276 37mm Armour Piercing Tank Round

439 37mm Army Projectiles early marking system.

440 37mm Army Projectiles late marking system.

441 Japanese Army arsenal marks.

586 37mm land service rounds with partially sectionised cases: Type 1 Anti-Tank Gun, Type 94 Anti-Tank Gun, Type 94 Tank Gun & Type 97 Anti-Tank Gun.

Attachments

• BOCN 276.jpg
    BOCN 276.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 23
  • BOCN 439.jpg
    BOCN 439.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 15
  • BOCN 440.jpg
    BOCN 440.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 13
  • BOCN 441.jpg
    BOCN 441.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 15
  • BOCN 586.jpg
    BOCN 586.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 21

Propellant:

Type 11th year infantry gun:
1.85 oz. of graphited smokeless powder in the form of flakes poured into the case and sealed with a cardboard closing disc.

Type 94 tank gun:
2.7 oz. of graphited smokeless powder in the form of rectangular flakes.

Type 94 antitank gun, type 98 gun, and type 100 tank gun:
4.3 ounces of graphited smokeless powder in the form of unitubular grains contained in a silk bag.

Type 97 antitank gun:
5.0 ounces of graphited smokeless powder in the form of short, cylindrical grains contained in a silk bag.

Attachments

• BOCN 589.jpg
    BOCN 589.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 9
  • BOCN 591.jpg
    BOCN 591.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 12
  • BOCN 590.jpg
    BOCN 590.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 11
  • BOCN 588.jpg
    BOCN 588.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 13
  • BOCN 587.jpg
    BOCN 587.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 12

Type 94 37mm High‑Explosive Projectile

Remarks: This steel projectile is filled with TNT and picric acid. The after two‑thirds of the projectile cavity is filled with high-grade cast TNT. The forward one‑third of the projectile cavity is filled with picric acid. The entire burst­ing charge is enclosed in a heavy waxed paper casing with a double thickness between the TNT and picric acid charge.

Type 94 37 mm Armour‑Piercing High‑Explosive Projectile

Remarks: This projectile is made of high-grade steel. The main charge cavity contains a small wooden plug in the forward portion and a paper covered picric acid charge aft of the wooden nose plug. The Type 94 small delay base fuze screws into the base of the projectile, also acting as a base plug.

Armour penetration, surface normal:

Projectile Range Penetration
(yards) (inches)
Type 94 AP 0 2. 1
Type 94 AP 250 1. 9
Type 94AP 500 1. 7

Type 1 37 mm High‑Explosive Projectile.

Remarks: This projectile is constructed of high-grade steel. It has no sharply defined bourrelet. It uses a small Mk 1 base fuze, which also acts as a base plug.

The markings on this ammunition follow two different systems, one of which replaced the other during the course of World War II. These systems are distinguishable by the position of the identification bands applied to the projectile, over the standard black as found on all Army large calibre ammunition.

a) Early Marking System

b) Late Marking System

Both early and late markings also included an indication of the projectile weight with reference to the quoted standard, such information being vital for artillery accuracy, as variations having to be allowed for in sighting. These markings incorporate plus or minus signs painted onto the body which indicate as follows:
+ + 1.5% to 2.5% overweight
+ 0.5% to 1.5% overweight
+ plus or minus 0.5%
.5% to 1.5% underweight
1.5% to 2.5% underweight

In addition to these all projectiles were stencilled in white with the date and place of filling. Stamped into the body may also be found a mark indicating where the projectile was manufactured.

Not all of these arsenals made ammunition but their acceptance marks etc. may be found on different batches. What is certain is that ammunition of various calibres was made elsewhere but unfortunately the information to hand is insufficient to allow for a more detailed discussion.

592 Type 1 37 mm High‑Explosive Projectile.

Attachments

• BOCN 592.jpg
    BOCN 592.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 16
  • BOCN 37MM CASE LOADINGS.jpg
    BOCN 37MM CASE LOADINGS.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 12
  • BOCN 37MM T94 HE PROJECTILE.jpg
    BOCN 37MM T94 HE PROJECTILE.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 14
  • BOCN 37MM T94 AP HE PROJECTILE.jpg
    BOCN 37MM T94 AP HE PROJECTILE.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 12
  • BOCN 37MM T1 HE PROJECTILE.jpg
    BOCN 37MM T1 HE PROJECTILE.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 12
37mm japanese land service

Hi all there, :tinysmile_shy_t:
Hope that these posts are of interest to you all. It is time consuming trying to adjust everything down in size to post. All of the graphics have lost their resolution etc. If any of you would like me to email you clearer images just drop me a line.
Cheers,

It goes back further

I and others have Hotchkiss Pattern projectiles of the 1890s period with Japanese markings, but we have never seen any proper information regarding the use of these and the associated Hotchkiss guns ?
Likely Navy , likely imported hence no Japanese made cases. There does exist a Japnese made 37x95r case that take a screw in primer. It is thought to be made for the Japanese version of the 1916 gun before the improved casing was adopted. If I can get permission I will post an image of the base of it.

Pre wwii

Hi Gspragge, :tinysmile_shy_t:
I concentrate on WWII Bougainville only and my research is just that so anything that comes before and after is out of my field. So the article that I have posted is concerned with the WWII era only. Without checking I think that from memory Ken Elks book might have included pre WWII. Could be wrong on the so don't quote me.
Cheers,

I and others have Hotchkiss Pattern projectiles of the 1890s period with Japanese markings, but we have never seen any proper information regarding the use of these and the associated Hotchkiss guns ?
Likely Navy , likely imported hence no Japanese made cases. There does exist a Japnese made 37x95r case that take a screw in primer. It is thought to be made for the Japanese version of the 1916 gun before the improved casing was adopted. If I can get permission I will post an image of the base of it.

Fascinating stuff,Bougainville,many thanks for sharing it with us.I'd never
given much thought to things Japanese,now,I want some!!!!

The markings on the projectiles

Those markings on the bodies are unknown to me. The Japanese would have captured this kind of material from Indochina. Does any one know what they did with captured ordnance?

Thank you for all of your information on these guys, so much to read and very interesting!

For those of you that have asked and are helping me in finding the correct cases I have now taken some photos of the French? projectiles.

Photo 1 and 2 show the stamp above the driving band, as you can see this projectile has a flat base. (needs a good clean)

Photo 3 and 4 show the stamp above the driving band, as you can see this projectile has a very different base, this one has a raised lump in the centre with an indent. (also needs a good clean)

Thanks
Darren

Attachments

• 001 (674 x 807).jpg
    001 (674 x 807).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 002 (582 x 734).jpg
    002 (582 x 734).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 003 (799 x 807).jpg
    003 (799 x 807).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 004 (591 x 772).jpg
    004 (591 x 772).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 14
Cheers,

Thank you for all of your information and time, very interesting indeed, i will be reading over and over again as there is so much to take in.

Thanks,
Darren