What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm grenades

Now that made me sit up and take notice:tinysmile_eyebrow_t. Any swaps?:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Last edited:
I'm looking to keep the ones in the photos. I might have some spares of the more common ones. PM me a list of what you are looking for.

2 bits

Hi Colin, Here is my 2 bits in the game so far. And I would sure like to see some close ups on some of your 40mm stuff......Dano

Last edited:
Looking good Dano. I've picked up a couple of the baton rounds myself. Cheers Colin

Hi, Here's my latest aquisition. Whilst it has no designation on it, I believe it's a US made M407A1. As an HE ogive (gold) and actual grenade has been used in it's construction, I suspect it's an early example. These date from the late 1960's and early 1970's. If you have any information on them, please add it to the thread.

The 40MM M407 Practice Grenade has a non-explosive projectile with dummy fuze and frag ball and is ballisticly matched to an HE Grenade for practice firing.

When I got this one the top of the ogive was dented, so I turned it into a cutaway.

Last edited:
Quick question on Brit 40mm

Just a quick one, the British 40mm, do we use a version of the MK47 or similar. I was just wandering as I have quite a few Brit practice 40mm bombs and was thinking of linking them all, but I don't wish to do so if we dont use our own made bombs for belt feed.
Any help would be great.
Cheers,
Rob

...and they're buying lots of 40mm ammo from STK.

As well as a new light armoured vehicle.

It does make me wonder how a tiny country like Singapore can be a major player in the international ammunition market, plus produce a range of small arms, artillery and armoured vehicles. Got to hand it to them...

37/40mm

Yes I agree, These things do appear to breed. I have several more "eyeballed up" for later purchase and badly want an L2A2 baton round...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 229.jpg
    Picture 229.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 69
Hi Dano. Looking good:tinysmile_fatgrin_t. The practice ones on the left are new to me (no pusher visible from the outside). Are they the latest type?

Here's a new addition to my collection (whilst it's a 37mm, it's close enough to 40mm). The photo of one in it's casing is a file photo, I NEED A CASING FOR MY ONE IF ANYONE HAS A SPARE.

Here's some information from a distributor.

Cheers Colin

Defense Technology Flite-Rite Barricade Penetrator, 37mm

Overview
Flite-Rite projectiles have a maximum effective range of 300 yards, with a 15-25 second discharge time. It easily penetrates screens, glass and wood. Flite-Rite Barricade Penetrator, 37mm. CN, CS, or Smoke.

Full Product Info

Features and Specifications:
  • OPERATION: The Flite-Rite is a fin-stabilized pyrotechnic projectile with a 1.5 ounce weighted tip. Launchable from only single shot 37mm launcher with a minimum barrel length of 14 inches, it begins discharging agent after a 1-second delay. It affords maximum standoff distance for safety
  • Used primarily by tactical teams, it is designed to penetrate heavy-duty barriers, such as particleboard doors, thin metal siding, or barriers at extended ranges
  • APPLICATION: In a tactical deployment situation, it is primarily used to dislodge barricaded subjects from confined areas. The purpose of the Flite-Rite is to minimize the risks to all parties through pain compliance, temporary discomfort and/or incapacitation of potentially violent or dangerous subjects
  • Provides the option of delivering a pyrotechnic chemical device indoors maximizing the chemical's effectiveness via heat and vaporization, while minimizing or negating the chance of fire to the structure
  • Actual smoke and chemical content is small enough that oxygen displacement concerns and LCT is rarely reached
  • A very viable option when chemical-laden powders or liquids are ineffective or inappropriate for the situation
  • As with all pyrotechnic carriers, contamination will be greater than that experienced with powders or liquids. Shot placement and trajectory should be based on distance, angle of impact, and hardness of the barrier. However, accuracy is dependent on the operator and the condition of the launcher. Make backstop considerations as occasionally, the Flite-Rite will penetrate through the initial target and beyond.
  • DO NOT DIRECT FIRE AT ANY INDIVIDUAL
WARNING: This product is to be used only by authorized and trained Law Enforcement, Correction, or Military Personnel. This product may cause serious injury or death to you or others. This product may cause serious damage to property. Handle, store and use with extreme care and caution. Use only as instructed

Attachments

• 40mm heavy duty barracade.jpg
    40mm heavy duty barracade.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 59
37/40mm

Here is my latest pic of 37/40mm rounds. there is just a grab bag full of these little jewels available. I like the 37mm baton rounds the best but the 40mm just go with them. Would really like to find a Vietnam era m406 thumper round..Dano

Attachments

• Picture 292.jpg
    Picture 292.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 47
Kiwicolin,

We fired those things in the academy through doors and sides of homes. They work but the only thing that I remember vivdly is taking allot of Motrin that night. Those things kick like a mule and so did my shoulder. It got to the point where we were firing them from under the shoulder. I tried to get a real good shape in one of those after we fired them all but couldn't. They mostly had there fins gone or were melted in some weird shapes.

Nice Kiwicolin, really nice. I cannot even find them here in the US, but again a nice piece anyhow! Do you need any more specs on her?

Hi V40,

Any information would be appreciated, and a casing would be great:tinysmile_fatgrin_t.

Cheers
Colin

You can still find a number of these pieces, but its a slightly different bunch of collectors. One of the largest in this subject is out of Wisconsin, he can be found through the IAA. He's a decent guy and loves a good trade.