What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm grenades

37/40mm

Hi Colin, Here are mine to date, I realize they're all pretty much common, but the others are eluding me...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 308.jpg
    Picture 308.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 103
Hi Dano,

Looking good mate:bigsmile:. By the way, I don't have four of those so called "common" 40mm's :sad:. I look forward to seeing your next discovery. Cheers Colin

I'm out right now, but just before I left I dug up a couple shots of some super rare 40mm that I was shown at a USMC collection several years ago. Unfortunately they are on the house computer, but I'll try to post them this weekend when I'm back.

Hi US-Subs,

Sounds great. I look forward to seeing the photos.

Cheers Colin

I get lucky every once in a while, end up in some forgotten corner of the world and sombody leaves the door open and lets me in with my camera. I've got some interesting shots (different sort of ordnance) where I am right now, I'll have to look at them closely when I get home and see what can be posted, noting site sensitivities.

Here are the 40mm pics I promised, taken at a USMC EOD collection in about 1997. The first is an antenna round, for getting an extension of the radio antenna above the canopy, the second is a multi-barrel, firing .22 cartridges, the third is a rocket assist projectile. There is a member from the west coast of the US that collects 40s and is much more knowledgable than I - if he cares to speak up - RL?

Attachments

• 40mm antenna.jpg
    40mm antenna.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 40mm multi-barrel.jpg
    40mm multi-barrel.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 40mm RAP.jpg
    40mm RAP.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 94
37/40mm riot round?

This came to me from slickrick (thanks Rick) as part of a somewhat ongoing trade we have going back and forth. I assume it is a riot round, and I just absolutely love this piece. I have never seen the like. thanks again Rick...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 315.jpg
    Picture 315.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Picture 316.jpg
    Picture 316.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 30
Dano, what you have there is an ARWEN round, Anti Riot Weapon Enfield. Just google it see how much info there is online, otherwise I would be here all night telling you about it ! Tony.

Wow. There is some great rounds there. The antenna round is fantastic (as is the multi-shot and the mini-rocket). The riot grenade is new to me also. Thanks for sharing these great photos.

Its the only examples of those three I've ever seen "on the shelf".

updated 37/40mm rounds

Have added another riot round and here is updated pic of my 37/40mm rounds to date. Thanks to slickrick for my newest addition. Wish I could find some of the tougher ones (such as m406 Vietnam model and 70's Ireland baton round with pointed rubber projectile and some of the ultra cool ones I see posted in this thread). I google till i'm blue in the face and the search continues...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 320.jpg
    Picture 320.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 92
Hmmm, I think I felt a gentle bayonet poke in my ribs to contribute to this thread. Thanks US-Subs. I also had the opportunity to see that USMC display in the 90s but my photos didn't come out. It was the only time I've been let down by the trusty Nikon. Did you happen to get a shot of the entire display board? I recall there were some other interesting examples there.

Those are certainly three of the more interesting 40mm cartridges out there. The antenna round was developed for use with the AN/GRC-109 radio used by Special Forces and SEALs in Vietnam. As US-Subs mentioned, the projectile was supposed to penetrate the jungle canopy and string the green antenna wire out across the tree tops. The other end remained attached to the cartridge case remaining in the M79 launcher. The end would be cut off, stripped, and atatched to the radio for use.

These cartridges were made by AAI Corp. in Maryland on a limited, experimental basis. And according to an ex-AAI engineer I know who also owns one of the cutaway rounds, all of the wire was hand wound into the projectiles by a single employee there. I'm sure that was fun. Here are a few shots of the one I have.

Attachments

• Pict0258.jpg
    Pict0258.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Pict0259.jpg
    Pict0259.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Pict0260.jpg
    Pict0260.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 50
  • Pict0261.jpg
    Pict0261.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 42
Here's a bit more information on the other two rounds US-Subs featured from the USMC display.

The multiple barrel round is the only one I've seen in that exact configuration. It differs from other surviving types from the 1965-vintage development with its rounded ogive shape. Most rounds from this period are like the one below with straight stepped barrels. These were one-shot throwaway types firing all 18 barrels of .22lr in a single volley.

A year later the Army experimented with a reloadable 18-shot round at Aberdeen Proving ground but it is unknown if any of these ever made it to Vietnam for field testing. In the end, both types were far too expensive compared to the multiple projectile round they ultimately adopted, the M576 loaded with buckshot in a plastic sabot.

I don't believe the rocket round was ever intended for use with the M79 or M203 but was the primary round for the experimental Avroc launcher tested in 1965. Note the multiple, deep rifling marks on the obturator band of the projectile, not at all like an M79 would leave. I've only seen a couple others of this round including an unfired specimen in the collection of our friend Hazord--lucky dog.

As several have pointed out in this thread, 40mm ammunition can be quite addictive and it seems the more interesting and unique the cartridge, the harder it is to find. Which makes the challenge even more fun sometimes and a frustrating, hopeless quest at other times.

Attachments

• 1965%20Multiprojectile%2040mm.jpg
    1965%20Multiprojectile%2040mm.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Avroc%20launcher.jpg
    Avroc%20launcher.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Pict0325.jpg
    Pict0325.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Pict0321.jpg
    Pict0321.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 44
Hi. I'm glad you got a gentle prod. Thanks for the great photo's and information. Cheers Colin

Hmmm, I think I felt a gentle bayonet poke in my ribs to contribute to this thread. Thanks US-Subs. I also had the opportunity to see that USMC display in the 90s but my photos didn't come out. It was the only time I've been let down by the trusty Nikon. Did you happen to get a shot of the entire display board? I recall there were some other interesting examples there.

Those are certainly three of the more interesting 40mm cartridges out there. The antenna round was developed for use with the AN/GRC-109 radio used by Special Forces and SEALs in Vietnam. As US-Subs mentioned, the projectile was supposed to penetrate the jungle canopy and string the green antenna wire out across the tree tops. The other end remained attached to the cartridge case remaining in the M79 launcher. The end would be cut off, stripped, and atatched to the radio for use.

These cartridges were made by AAI Corp. in Maryland on a limited, experimental basis. And according to an ex-AAI engineer I know who also owns one of the cutaway rounds, all of the wire was hand wound into the projectiles by a single employee there. I'm sure that was fun. Here are a few shots of the one I have.

Good to finally hear from you Rick, I figured you were lurking around this thread. Speak up more often, its good to hear from you. Give me a call at home in a week or two and I'll fill you in with the latest. In the meantime, here is the original board. Admittedly my camera equipment then was not what it is now, plucking something that small off a board that size and trying to get a usable image isn't always possible. -

Guess I cannot post the pic, got a message saying a security token is missing, contact an administrator. Tried the link, said it was not valid - Have I been bad?

Another one for Colin,

CTS 40MM "Anti-Personnel" # 4 Buckshot Cartridge

A twist on 40MM Fixed Buckshot Rounds. These cartridges have a machined aluminum chamber sleeve that is permanently secured into a non-metallic body. The aluminum chamber receives (factory loaded) the primer, powder, wad, # 4 Buck Shot and over wad seal, serving as both a fixed chamber and barrel. Load specs are basically the same as a Standard 12 Gauge US Law Enforcement 2 3/4" # 4 Buckshot Round. These cartridges are not available to civilians, dealers or LE (Don't call the factory)!

Stay Safe!

Attachments

• CTS 40MM 004.jpg
    CTS 40MM 004.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 60
  • CTS 40MM 005.jpg
    CTS 40MM 005.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited: