What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

50 Kilo SC Better than i thought!

As a plumber by trade i use my auto ignite blow torch for many things.

If you use plenty of heat then that base plug will unscrew.

Use the biggest pair of stillsons you can get and place leather pads
in the jaws to minimise bite marks.

I have got to do that on the 500 aswell.

Also try plus gas penetration fluid for a couple of days and you might
get lucky, without using heat.

Good luck
satan

Hi Chris,
Thats a good suggestion with the tails.
As for the fuze,im waiting for Fuzeman to pop in and have a look.That fuze with the bomb was bought by the seller seperatly just for show.
I shall pen-oil the plate tomorow.will a rubber mallet do the job as i def dont have a plastic one.Ive loads of the rubber mallets as thats what we use at work for hammering in cask taps on real ale casks!

Im curious to know what some of those stamps and the stencilling are on the body?
im over the moon with this one as i chased it for a year.

best

waff

Very nice, wouldn't mind one my self, were do they turn up. You can make replica stuff until the real bits turn up. As with the dings on the end, at least you know that it was a dropped one. Pen oil on the back cap will do the trick. One of the lettering looks like a J by the way. All you need now is a Stuka and you are in business:tinysmile_twink_t2:.

Thanks Satan,
I see i was posting at the same time as you!:eek:
Ive got a `mapp gas` torch i use for refrigeration braizing?

Whats with that nose piece?,is it a transit plug or a broken off `spike` that was used to explode the bomb above ground?
Also,any ideas on the body stamps?
Those y`s for instance,could that have been for the armourers use so he knew which fuze to put in?

cheers

waff

Very nice, wouldn't mind one my self, were do they turn up. You can make replica stuff until the real bits turn up. As with the dings on the end, at least you know that it was a dropped one. Pen oil on the back cap will do the trick. One of the lettering looks like a J by the way. All you need now is a Stuka and you are in business:tinysmile_twink_t2:.

Hi BMG,
Do you mean the J as in the ink stamp?
I will have a proper look in morning light tomorrow.I took the pics tonight after i came home from work.

best
waff

The choice is yours as far as the casing goes.

light wire wheels generally take most of the metal back for re painting
but yours looks to original for that.

If there is a uniform finish to the case then leave as it is as with that
scraping on the front you would have to get that adressed before you paint it and thus loosing some character,after all it has fallen from a great height.

Any original fins that are saveable are worth doing as i am left with no option but to make mine. love that 55 fuse! according to my list it was used in the SD and SC variants.

Satan

The nose plug is probably a broken of lifting eye.

Two of my 50s have got the stud still in there and they are a bggr to get out.

will do some comparisons on the markings but there should be a date or something stamped around the fuse pocket.

Satan

Ah,thats good with the fuze then!
Im sure the seller said he had bought it seperatly though to the bomb?,no matter if its correct then.
Im not going to fill/repaint anything on this one as you say,there is a story with all those dings and scrapes.
I must chase it up with the seller to see if there is indeed a tale behind it?
Would a light rub down with that pen oil for the baseplate be ok?

best

waff

The nose plug is probably a broken of lifting eye.

Two of my 50s have got the stud still in there and they are a bggr to get out.

will do some comparisons on the markings but there should be a date or something stamped around the fuse pocket.

Satan

I see now,thats why perhaps the eye is missing from the top if it was stowed with the nose eye?
That could narrow it down a bit then to what sort of aircraft dropped this one?
I would guess a Heinkel 111 as im sure the bombs were stowed nose first in the rack on the vertical?

cheers

waff

dont know if these pages from TM 9-1985-2 are any use for you.the markings image is just a general guide ..

Attachments

• apg1.jpg
    apg1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 30
  • apg2.jpg
    apg2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 27
  • apg3.jpg
    apg3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 18
  • bomb markings german ww2.jpg
    bomb markings german ww2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 40
50 kG sc

Having worked on a number of these,plus produce them for training the best way to remove the base plate is to leave the tail end soaking in a diesel bath, the bombs been laying around for 60 odd years a week in a tub of derv should do the trick.:tinysmile_twink_t:

Hi Paul trying to descipher those stampings the bomb is dated 1939 the DL means Deutscher Londinium loosley translated for those who do not speak german (like me )
Made in Germany to be dropped on London ie DL
Cheers

Hi Paul
The fuze would have been a (15) if dropped early or otherwise a (25) up to about 1942 then afterwoods maybe the (55) as for the base plate if you knew a blacksmith who could make a spanner for the plate , you have 2 cutouts on it so what would be required is a type of pin spanner ? A long flat bar , with two flat pins sticking out about 25 mm high and 120mmm? apart , my base plate is on lloan at the moment so i cant tell you the exact distances
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Paul trying to descipher those stampings the bomb is dated 1939 the DL means Deutscher Londinium loosley translated for those who do not speak german (like me )
Made in Germany to be dropped on London ie DL
Cheers

Is this for real ,please tell me your having a laugh,
surely they didnt stamp bombs up with the destination.

I reckon Steve is correct.
Our German friends were very efficient on weapons manufacture.:tinysmile_twink_t:
Thank you for the Fuzing info also.
My big brother will knock up a spanner for me as he is the wizard when it comes to this sort of project.
At the moment,ive pen-oiled the baseplate whilst i come up with an ideal container for the bottom end derv soak!

cheers

waff

Last edited:
Hi Allan
No in was just joking the DL is probably the factory that made the case, its just that the intials were perfect for a German bomb to be dropped on London , my 50Kg is all so stamped DL but 1940 , not as clearly stamped as Pauls , mines minus the base plate , but as its sitting on a base it dosnt show .

Well you suckered me with that one!
I just had to add a wink on part of my earlier post now!:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Thats a good idea with a plinth though if i dont get a tail unit.

cheers

waff