What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a run in with the law

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi, I just had an new experience with the law regarding ordnance being sent in the post, I dont know if anybody uses a courier service collect plus I had a package sent to me from a good friend the other day using this service they send there packages between different outlets around the country and when it arrives you get an email saying you have ten days to pick it up and bring your order number as proof , so off I go keen to pick up my package well this is when the fun started the Indian gentleman as I will call him at the store opened my package why I dont know and called the police so when I got there he new nothing and told me to go to the police station so I did but had to wait for bomb disposal to give it the all clear the item in question was a 25pdr AP Shot that did not contain any explosive and never have, so was legal to ship and to own , so my conclusion is the assistant behind the counter did not know the shop was an Agent for that company why else would he have opened it and I now have an apology from Collect plus,

Cheers
Andy

Jeeesus H! It used to be a country of free speech here boys!

Q,Chill out my old pal! ,Andys only describing who did the dirty on him and opened the parcel.
I havnt even started up yet about who ripped me off for 400 last week and believe me,i will be having things to say regardless of race,colour,creed.....
Carry on Gents,keep it clean please ;)

best

waff

25 pdr practice

I sent Andy this,thought it be the cheapest way as i was skint. When i read the E mail he sent me last night i felt really guilty,but was unable to stop laughing,so much so that my mums new Collie from the rescue center(been badly treated)decided to try and attack me.Sorry Andy It has a funny side too!:embarassed:

I sent Andy this,thought it be the cheapest way as i was skint. When i read the E mail he sent me last night i felt really guilty,but was unable to stop laughing,so much so that my mums new Collie from the rescue center(been badly treated)decided to try and attack me.Sorry Andy It has a funny side too!:embarassed:

:xd: Good lad Tig!!

best

waff

Opening official mail is against the law unless authorised by the home office or higher authority. He should have been arrested and charges brought. If he opened it because it was ordnance, that was more stupid as you are all aware. Yes, EOD may well be called due to the nature of any x-ray taken and to ensure the safety of all involved.

Posting such items I am not going to talk about as I do not know the procedure.

Every postal system (currier) have a duty of care and obliged to xray items if they think there may be a security reasons or whatever, but to open any item is not their remit but that of the higher authority under the Home Office.

Please note, UK Only

This may not help but it may enlighten those who wish to post items. Please make sure you have both addressees on the external of the package so as to help authorities identify the sender / recipient - Obviously if the item is above board and legal there will be no problem whatsoever.

Just a good talking point and a little excitement etc.

THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL RESPONSE OR THE ACTUAL PROCESS OF ITEMS FOUND IN THE POSTAL SERVICE.

JP

Please Note

'Collect +' are not a postal service but a carrier and as such there are free to do what they like with your parcel - their conditions say so

Also, they have their own definition of prohibited articles which they won't carry - it includes ammunition

Any person, with reasonable excuse, can open a Royal mail packet.

The inclusion of the sender's telephone number(s) as well as the address would save an awful lot of aggravation if the packet comes under scrutiny.

Regards

TimG

Well said tim, thanks for the finer points that are often missed - There is hidden somewhere a clause that some mail delivery Co are not allowed to open items ie Royal Mail

Last edited:
Explosives, Weapons & Ammunition are all prohibited under Royal Mail regulations, not relevant in this case but worth noting.

Yep - as a EOD operative, I have on occasions been asked to attend some doggie items found in the post. to be honest I do take all items reported to be a threat and destined for other purposes until properly identified and ownership identified - NOT AN OFFICIAL RESPONSE.

Whenever i send an item in the post i always include this Inert notice and strip the item down to its component parts.
This way there should be no doubt it is safe and empty.
paul

Attachments

• INERT notice.jpg
    INERT notice.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 51
I usually write my inert statement by hand. Thats a way better looking page. Good idea man.

Explosives, Weapons & Ammunition are all prohibited under Royal Mail regulations, not relevant in this case but worth noting.

Glad this is mentioned.
I sent some items through the post 10 days ago and the buyer said he hasnt recieved them. Its an ongoing investigation with the PO but im worried they cannot produce the slip of who signed for it?:tinysmile_angry2_t:
I have the receipt of course and their site says it was delivered...
My point here is when i try to claim the money back,will the PO try and wriggle out of it because i sent inert ammo/collectors items through the mail?
Cant say too much as i know that the 'buyer' could see this...You need to know more then shoot me an email at wingydarwen01@aol.com as my PM box is always full here.

best
waff

I have the receipt of course and their site says it was delivered...
best
waff

Then unless you know 100% that the buyer wouldn't rip you off it's his problem to sort out with the PO.

You posted it and can prove that. I wouldn't refund the money until the PO pay up.

It took me 6 bloody months for the PO to sort a claim I put in.

Ah,but Spudgun,i sent the items on good faith to someone who has a lot of good feedback on SA and seemed a decent sort on the phone.
Subsequently ive found out that he has 'skimmed' a few people using the same MO of 'I havnt received it so you aint getting paid/cancel cheque' etc....

not happy

waff

Then unless you know 100% that the buyer wouldn't rip you off it's his problem to sort out with the PO.

You posted it and can prove that. I wouldn't refund the money until the PO pay up.

Well thats not true. If we're talking from a legal point of view then the item is Waffs responsibility until its with the buyer.

The buyers contract with the seller is that the buyer pays for the item which seller delivers.

The seller is responable for claiming from the Post Office because its the sender who has the contract with the P.O.

Waffs done the right thing by sending it 'recordered'? but even then its only insured for 39.00 and they'll ask for proof of whats was in the parcel (a print out from S.A. end of auction page) that could give them an excuse not to pay.

Well thats not true. If we're talking from a legal point of view then the item is Waffs responsibility until its with the buyer.

The buyers contract with the seller is that the buyer pays for the item which seller delivers.

The seller is responable for claiming from the Post Office because its the sender who has the contract with the P.O.

Waffs done the right thing by sending it 'recordered'? but even then its only insured for 39.00 and they'll ask for proof of whats was in the parcel (a print out from S.A. end of auction page) that could give them an excuse not to pay.

Hi Q,

Ive insured the package for 500,the items plus posted Special Delivery Next Day(21) comes to 391.
Im just flapping that they will wriggle out of paying me up?
All ive asked for (several times to no avail) is who signed for the parcel so i can get the Old Bill involved.
Ive nothing to hide plus the items belonged to one of my best pals who happens to be a licensed collector.
The items in question were completly inert and fully strippable.

best

waff

Last edited: