What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archive photos

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Finishing up some research this afternoon and ran across some archive photos I thought I'd post. First two photos are a very seldom seen US WWII projectile, we didn't make many of them.

33a.jpg33a1.jpg 1b.jpg28b.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff,

Thanks for the photos. Now I know what my 4.5G projo is supposed to look like as lettered!

Mine will remain pretty much the way I found it (minus certain fill material). Came from one of the main US WWII artillery training ranges.

4.5-inch M65.jpg

Digging out some pictures for Peteblight, thought I'd throw on a couple more archive shots. They got the identification wrong on the SD-1s, but that's ok. I love the SSGs new shirt as well. The second group is interesting in that you see very few wartime photos of Army personnel using VT fuzes.

21.jpg21b.jpg 47.jpg47a.jpg47b.jpg

A couple of German projos in Italy.

19c.jpg 19cc.jpg 20a.jpg20aa.jpg

Attachments

• 19cc.jpg
    19cc.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 101
Not sure if I've shown any of these previously or not. Apologies for any repeats.

43a.jpg43a1.jpg 33b.jpg33b1.jpg 40.jpg

Great photos! The one of the 4,000Lb. bombs is nice! The "Easter eggs" photo is a classic.

Here are a couple more. I like the "indiscriminate method" of shipping projos to Brisbane. Enlargement shows that they are pretty early models of 155mm, looks like MK1A1.

1a.jpg 331.jpg331b.jpg 33-1.jpg

The projectile shipping is interesting, considering all the packaging that was done on other ordnance. The ropes around the projectiles to protect the rotating bands aren't even near the bands anymore. Glad I wasn't the one having to file all the dings out of the rotating bands.

I would have expected that the MK1 was about obsolete by then, I wonder if the projectiles ever left Australia. By the same note though, the Marines were using the VB rifle grenade in Guadalcanal, so maybe the old projos did move on and see final use.

What a great pictures!!!! The description of the German 5cm Mortars is not right because they are SD1 bombs bodys, but to see an original box from factory is great. Please have you more pictures?

Subs, Thanks for the picture of the Mk1A1's. The view of the copper closure disks is great once you enlarge it. It's neat to see that they were using up the old stocks of rounds before the introduction of the M107, though they might have just cleared out the magazines on lend-lease to make room for the new stuff. As far as the method of stowage/transport, I've seen similar pictures of trucks on board an LCT, loaded helter skelter with lots of 155 projos, getting ready to offload at Normandy after the invasion (and the Storms, I prsume). Great pix, thanks!! Cheers, Bruce.

Here are some more shots, starting with some projectiles in a cave - German 15cm, as the photographer says, or Italian 149's? The shape and the markings on the ogive make me think Italian (see enlargement). What is with the cover on the base of the projectile?

The last two are of US troops using German 8cm mortars. You frequently hear about Germany using captured ammo, but not so often the Allies.

31.jpg31-2.jpg 31b.jpg 33.jpg33b 1.jpg 36 1.jpg36b1.jpg

Subs, The cover on the base of the projectile is the base closure disk, which I go into greater detail with in the projectile forum "Pieces Parts..." recent thread, but here is one from a Mk 1 155mm Howitzer Round. GREAT PICTURES!!! Please keep them coming!!!

Attachments

• Photo191.jpg
    Photo191.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 73
Bacarnal,
I understand the copper base cover, I've got quite a few on my pre-1930s HE projectiles. In this case what I am referring to is the cover with the black X, which goes over the entire base of the projectile seen on the Italian 149mm projectiles in the first photo just above here. It looks to be a cover fixed to go over the entire base of the projectile, right up to the rotating band.

Subs, My mistake. I would assume that the ones on the 149's, as you probably also surmised, is there to protect the rotating band since on most of the rounds pictured it fits about half to three quarters of the way over the band. The round on the top of the second stack seems to have been knocked askew. Sorry for my mix up. Again, the photos are magnificent. Please keep them coming. Cheers, Bruce.

Here is a very neat piece of ordnance that never made it very far - anyone recognize it? I'll give you this much, the photo was taken in March, 1945 in Italy. The munitions are US and when fired move in one direction, then the other. Give it your best shot, I'll provide the ID tomorrow night, if necessary.

19.jpg 19-1.jpg