What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archive photos

Apparently grabbed the wrong file. Try again tonight.

It would vertainly make any Japanese collection a stand-out. Some very rare pieces in one photo.

It would vertainly make any Japanese collection a stand-out. Some very rare pieces in one photo.

Very interesting photograph, but what I also noticed was the location - Alaska!! - not something you readily associate with Japanese forces in WW2

here is a link to some information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attu_Island

*****as always superb photos Jeff - are these all original photos you have, or are they stored electronically? - whatever they are superb thanks for posting****

regards Kev

While doing research on different ID projects of mine - Japanese ord, ADSIDS, CW, etc. - I did about 5-6 week long trips to the national archives - spread over several years. Three laptops, three scanners, eight hours a day. All I would do was identify the photos I wanted, my sherpas (wife, son, collecting buddy) would run the scanners till they burnt out. All scans were done at 600 or 900 ppi, so I got the best resolution possible. Ended up with several thousand great images, but many too technical/dry for this thread. As I find time I hop through some of the files, looking for shots involving soldiers or a mixture of items that may interest the greatest number of members.

I do pick up original photos when I find them, there are several hundred in the library, but many still need to be catalogued and can be difficult to find when I am looking for them.

While doing research on different ID projects of mine - Japanese ord, ADSIDS, CW, etc. - I did about 5-6 week long trips to the national archives - spread over several years. Three laptops, three scanners, eight hours a day. All I would do was identify the photos I wanted, my sherpas (wife, son, collecting buddy) would run the scanners till they burnt out. All scans were done at 600 or 900 ppi, so I got the best resolution possible. Ended up with several thousand great images, but many too technical/dry for this thread. As I find time I hop through some of the files, looking for shots involving soldiers or a mixture of items that may interest the greatest number of members.

I do pick up original photos when I find them, there are several hundred in the library, but many still need to be catalogued and can be difficult to find when I am looking for them.

Wow, that is quite something and your time has certainly been rewarded with some fantastic images. I have to say the ones you post are amazing images. I do like photographic images, often there is more in them than you see at first glance.
Thankyou for taking the time to post the ones you do, it is much appreciated

regards Kev

So every time when I hit "Thanks" button in this thread please share it with Your Tenzings.
Thanks again for sharing these great images. As they document that ammunition research is not only about the technical data.

Best Regards, Bob