What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Before and after

This time electrolysis used, when the same of original paint is preserved i use oxalic acid.

Regards
E

how strong is the oxalic mix you use,as i know someone who is wanting to try this method

Depends, normally 8 percent warm solution and soak time depends what kind of object it is, mean condition of paint.

E

I will ask him to start a post ,then you could maybe advise him after seeing the item

Hi iam looking for some advice how to clean this 25 pounder case , what strength solution ? and how to avoid damaging paper labels on the inside .Any help,suggestions welcome regards Dave

Attachments

• DSCF0487.jpg
    DSCF0487.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF0488.jpg
    DSCF0488.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF0490.jpg
    DSCF0490.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 36
Hi:
I relaunch this thread because I have a question for Endel: What do you think about Evapo Rust? Have you used it? Let us know, please.

Evapo rust I have heard, and from what I have seen is an excellent product. You cannot use evapo rust if any paint is remaining though, unless you want it gone.

It will also remove bluing and parkerizing completely.
The U.S. military has used it for a long time for de-rusting and removing finishes.

Oxalic is still best for painted objects that you want to save the paint.

Last edited:
Evapo rust will remove the paint from a German M24 can, for example? This is stated in its site:
Removes even heavy rust completely
Non-toxic, non-corrosive, safe on skin
No fumes or bad odors, non-flammable, no VOC's
Biodegradable, water soluble
Easy to use - Soak part in room temperature solution
Requires no special equipment
No acids, bases, solvents or other toxic ingredients
Will not harm unrusted steel, safe on other metals
Can be disposed of safely into sewer
One gallon derusts up to 300 pounds of heavily rusted steel
Will not affect plastic, PVC, Viton and most paints

"most paints" ? I do not know why it says that.

If it will remove parkerizing and bluing, it will surely eat the paint?
I read somewhere not to use on painted items.

I will have to get some and try it on something that I do not care about.

Wow! it's only $8.99 for 32oz. bottle at Autozone auto parts store.
I'll go get some tomorrow, Autozone is only a few blocks away!

Maybe if you do not leave the object in the evapo-rust too long, it may not hurt the paint. I will have to figure out what to use for a test.

I think I'll try it on one of my "Luftwaffe Fly Tags". I have a about 5 of them with some paint remaining.

This evapo-rust advertisement says it "will not harm paint if it's "still adhered to the surface"

So this means for example, a M24 grenade head that has rust, and the evapo rust gets "under" the paint.... that's "bubbling" or "flaking" it will probably removed this paint I think.

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
obviously there are two sorts of Evapo-Rust in circulation: one produced by Daubert Cromwell / Alsip, Illinois (as I got it over here) and the other by Harris International Labs Inc. /Springdale, Arizona (as offered in the classifieds) :hmmmm2:

I have some very nice M24 cans with paint and stencils, but with a lot of small spots of surface rust, also some 2cm Flak heads, etc. Pieces with a lot or all paint and stencils and with light surface rust spots. I need to know how I can remove this rust without damage the paint nor the stencils.

I found in Spain a distributor, you cant find it at local shops, 1 gallon=4,7 lit 50,76 euro=68.43$ :tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t:

Last edited:
I have some very nice M24 cans with paint and stencils, but with a lot of small spots of surface rust, also some 2cm Flak heads, etc. Pieces with a lot or all paint and stencils and with light surface rust spots. I need to know how I can remove this rust without damage the paint nor the stencils.

mm sorry to butt in,but do you feel its really important to remove these rust 'spots'?

I believe any intervention could possibly affect the surface and stencills in a negative way.
its already been said,but any paint that is above rust will come off with the rust and you could be left with horrible bare metal patches of clean steel.
I wouldnt bother with it if they were mine as you could ruin them.
I only remove or treat rust on stuff that has no original paint left.
I think the only thing to do is try it on something of comparable age that has some stencills on that you can afford to spoil.
I would be very interested if you have some before and after images on such delicate objects,or diffrent surfaces.
i just dont believe everything i read on the labels,and i'd like to see some real testing done.

regards

I would

I found in Spain a distributor, you cant find it at local shops, 1 gallon=4,7 lit 50,76 euro=68.43$ :tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t:

you will not get it much cheaper in whole Europe, Miguel, but if you always use a suitable sized container, the fluid is rather economical :tinysmile_grin_t:

Hello "I would":
I believe a pic "would" be better than a word, so I post you a pic of the can I "would" want to clean, just imagine it without the rust.... I dont know why, but it is not easy to catch the look.

Attachments

• IMG_3180.jpg
    IMG_3180.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3182.jpg
    IMG_3182.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3183.jpg
    IMG_3183.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3184.jpg
    IMG_3184.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3186.jpg
    IMG_3186.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3187.jpg
    IMG_3187.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
you will not get it much cheaper in whole Europe, Miguel, but if you always use a suitable sized container, the fluid is rather economical :tinysmile_grin_t:

Im talking with the distributor and he says that the liquid is reusable until it loose its properties and: "It is quite possible to leave the object in bare iron material, because it is a product specifically for that. We can not assure that the paintings resist the action of evapo-rust. About rust it will not going to leave no trace".

I'm with foubar about that, Miguel.
most collectors would be happy to own such cans. these nice ones are no objects for chemical treatment anyway. give them a smooth oil (Ballistol for example), let it soak some time and they will be well preserved and good looking!

Im with you too, but if there is a small chance of improve an item, it must be tried. I think it would be better the "all life" oxalic. Steve, when you have new info, write it, please. Others comments are welcome.