What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Before and after

obviously there are two sorts of Evapo-Rust in circulation: one produced by Daubert Cromwell / Alsip, Illinois (as I got it over here) and the other by Harris International Labs Inc. /Springdale, Arizona (as offered in the classifieds) :hmmmm2:

This is called American capitalism Peter.
Commercial, Industrial-- Military-Gov't-- and Retail sales gimmicks........
They're all the same products, and [SIZE=-1]work through selective chelation.[/SIZE] :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Rust- Aid

Miguel, that M24 can looks great already, I agree with the others, I would not use the evapo rust on it.

I did not have time today to buy and try the evapo-rust, but after some thought, I would not use it on anything that has paint. I'm the type of person that will kick myself in the ass for years, if not the rest of my life for ruining something that was perfectly fine to begin with.

I am sure if the evapo rust gets "under" the paint as I said, it WILL remove the rust "under" the paint.....but then the paint will not have anything to "adhere to" and be removed. I think evapo-rust should be used only on bare metal or if you do not care about the remaining paint.

Here's before and after pics of a RGD-33 I used something called "Rust Aid" on. The main ingredient in it is Oxalic acid and it also has hydroflouric acid in it. It is $2.50 a bottle at the famous Wal-mart stores.

I heated it to about 110-120F and used it on this RGD-33 and a few other items with fairly good results. It did not affect the ink/paint stencil. When I'm finished, I rinse really good with clean water, dry with a towel, and then oil the grenade with a good oil like break free or tri-flow.

Attachments

• PB010003.jpg
    PB010003.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 127
  • RGD33date1941.jpg
    RGD33date1941.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 125
  • PB010005.jpg
    PB010005.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Very good results, nice grenades. And thank you for sharing them.

Hi iam looking for some advice how to clean this 25 pounder case , what strength solution ? and how to avoid damaging paper labels on the inside .Any help,suggestions welcome regards Dave

As Steve said, Oxalic is best for painted objects that you want to save the paint, i agree with it. On this case, the first problem is oiled surface. You must remove that layer with oil remover (be careful with it, it must be "friendly" for the paint) make a test on a small area.
Acid solution 8-10 percent warm solution is okay and soak time depends, maybe 30 min maybe more. You can repeat that with a new solution. After that wash it out with cold water, it harden the paint again and then possible to brush it over.
My way to save the labels, if it is possible i remove the label with scalpel, if not, i leave it and wash it very carefully, i haven`t seen no damages by the solution. I am not sure what will happen after the years, maybe it is irresponsible.

So, reply for Miguel, I have no experience with the Evapo Rust. Seems like its magical... I couldn`t find any sellers in my region. I would be happy to see some restoration projects here.

Best
E

Last edited:
.... I am not sure what will happen after the years, maybe it is irresponsible.

Endel,

I think you make a good point here and one for anyone to consider before attempting any form of restoration!!
Thanks for raising this.

great restorations by the way!!!

regards Kev

One wooden box.

E

Attachments

• pak36.jpg
    pak36.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 125
  • Pak36_2.jpg
    Pak36_2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
I have lost one post here before the last one, small confusion now. Is it possible to do it myself?

Thanks
E

Very good results, nice grenades. And thank you for sharing them. E

Hi Endel, thanks, I thought maybe others would like to see what the "Rust-Aid" liquid could do. It worked very well indeed on my RGD-33. It's also cheap and very easy to use. But you have to also be careful as with any chemicals. I think Oxalic might damage some items if left in the liquid too long.

Hi all,

small refreshment in this thread. All items are cleaned with an acid.

Regards
E

Attachments

• p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 127
  • p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 149
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 143
  • gasc2.jpg
    gasc2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 117
  • gasc1.jpg
    gasc1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 123
  • kasten2.jpg
    kasten2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 117
  • kasten1.jpg
    kasten1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 114
I have posted some pictures already, but i must to nail down that bomb theme.
About that bombs, I don`t have any knowledge to id all bombs , so one thread is here http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/77266-Russian-bomb-ID?p=173094#post173094

Interesting for me, seems like that bombs have been empty for a long time, seems like they aren`t filled at all, rusty surface all in the body. The seller said, it is a find near from WW2 airfield.
45mmb_rus.jpgboms_rus.jpgrboms_aft.jpgrbombs_aft2.jpgrbombfuzes.jpgrbomb122_aft.jpg

Regards
Endel
pencil.png

Last edited:
Nice bombs. Maybe they were emptied long time ago.

It is possible. My fist thought was, that filler has been burned out, but no, after the restoration i saw the original paint on the surface.

Screwed fuzes are common after the war but emtied ammunition... if there has been some ammonite, maybe it used as fertiliser.

Regards
E

It is possible. My fist thought was, that filler has been burned out, but no, after the restoration i saw the original paint on the surface.

Screwed fuzes are common after the war but emtied ammunition... if there has been some ammonite, maybe it used as fertiliser.

Regards
E

Really? Good potatoes will get!!!

Here is a restorated 7,3 cm propaganda rocket (Propagandageschoss 41). Showed leaflets are up for grabs.

Best
E

Attachments

• PrGs1.jpg
    PrGs1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 106
  • PrGs.jpg
    PrGs.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 118
  • PrGs4.jpg
    PrGs4.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 101
  • PrGs3.jpg
    PrGs3.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 95
  • PrGs2.jpg
    PrGs2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 71
Hi,

small progress again. My old 105 mm HL German beauty has got a new look.

Regards
E

Attachments

• 105_!.jpg
    105_!.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 105 HL 1.jpg
    105 HL 1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 105HL_original base stamps.jpg
    105HL_original base stamps.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 105HL_cont.jpg
    105HL_cont.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 105HL_3.jpg
    105HL_3.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 105HL.jpg
    105HL.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 107
One of my favorite box for the 5 cm german mines. Usually those are emptied and without the supporting racks.

E

Attachments

• 5 cm lgrw3.jpg
    5 cm lgrw3.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 5 cm lgrw2.jpg
    5 cm lgrw2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 5 cm lgrw.4.jpg
    5 cm lgrw.4.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 5 cm lgrw1.jpg
    5 cm lgrw1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 57
Here are some of peaces of an exploded 10 cm Nb.W 40 containers after 65 years, where were cases still inside.

Restored with solution of oxalic acid and cases are cleaned with ammonia.

Best
E

Attachments

• 10nbwbef.jpg
    10nbwbef.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 10nbwaft.jpg
    10nbwaft.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 120
  • hlse (6315 St) der le H.T..jpg
    hlse (6315 St) der le H.T..jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 108