What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brass Mills gren

gothica7

Premium Member
This arrived today, recently purchased on feebay. It has been posted before on another post but i could not find it. However, its actually made of brass, not magnetic at all and the base is held on by a central long bolt.
I am quite impressed with it, my first ever brass Mills. I gather it actually has a patent design no and it may have been produced in 1915, before any shortages. However as it cant talk, we will never know. Nice patina to it though and not bad for 16 quid. Well pleased.

Andy

Attachments

• Picture529.jpg
    Picture529.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 88
Good going Andy!
I had my eye on that one myself (damn customs restrictions!). That's a bargain at 16GBP! Well done.

Any chance you could post a few photos of the various parts?
...a disassembled view as it were

Cheers,
Brad

Beautimus prime

Andy, Is that strictly an ornamental piece such as a paperweight or something along those lines, or was that intended for and/or produced for use as a grenade, then converted. Either way a totally bitchin' piece and a valuable addition for any "Millsophile". What a beauty

I saw this and didn't bid. I got the impression that it was a cast made from an original grenade not from the original Mills castings. Look at the inconsistent depth of the fragmentation grooves. I also thought the shoulders didn't look right and unlike most of the Mills 23's sold off at the end of WW1 did not have holes made for the pin. Also the material was not one used for regular grenades. I concluded it wasn't an original grenade but had been made purely for the souvenir market in brass to be more attractive.

On the other hand I'd say it has a place in the end to end Mills history, and it was bargain in the grand scheme of things. Certainly worth a place in a trench art or Mills collection.

John

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

here are a couple more pics of the item dissassembled. Its all pretty heavy solid brass, probably quite a rare item. I for one havnt seen one for sale anywhere before and i was expecting to receive something that had been plated but you dont see many brass plated items so i had a sneaking suspicion it was the real mcoy and i was right.

This item wasnt ever designed to be a real gren but it wouldnt take much by way of engineering skills to produce a complete gren but i think its probably too rare to mess with in my mind. Anyway, there on earth could i get a brass lever? Base plug and filler no problem though.

Andy

Attachments

• Picture530.jpg
    Picture530.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Picture531.jpg
    Picture531.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Looks good to me, I'm not into grenades but like that one.
Good buy!
Dave.

Hi John,

this could be a copy of a gren but i gather its a pretty close copy of the original 1915 patent that was made to produce income for war funds and i would be suprised if someone would 'knock up' something so close to the original design. However we will never know as i said earlier. I am pretty pleased to get it and as you said, a part of the history of the Mills bomb. I will bring it along when we meet shortly.

Andy

Dano,

certainly a fine ornament, could be turned into a real one but i think best left as is, unless i get hold of another one!!!

Andy

Hi Guys,

This item wasnt ever designed to be a real gren but it wouldnt take much by way of engineering skills to produce a complete gren but i think its probably too rare to mess with in my mind. Anyway, there on rarth could i get a brass lever? Base plug and filler no problem though.

Andy

Except Andy, there's no space for a base thread? As you correctly say it wasn't designed to be a real gren. I wonder if there was a time in the 1920's when the supply of real grenades sold off for trench art dried up and someone came up with the brass copies?

Interesting item though.

John

Two thumbs up

Yes Andy, Totally agree, was just curious as to original intent. It is a beautiful addition to your collection and definately has a place there. When I was mailny into helmets, there was a very small copy of a French WW1 infantry Adrian helmet, that was made as and sold as an inkwell, I suspect shortly after the war ended. sort of a functional souvenir. Items such as these fit in the "go with" catagory and certainly complement a collection...Dano

Could be John,

dont think we will ever know. It will sit with all the 'other' paperweights, real or otherwise.

Andy

At the end of the day, I'm sure that we can all agree on one thing... real Mills bomb or not it's a nice piece that would look great in any collection.

Andy, if you ever get tired of having that old paperweight just sitting around collecting dust, please give me a call. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Thanks for the additional photos.

Cheers,
Brad

Paperweight

The Registered Design No 651542 of 1915, as also used for the round-based and square-based grenade inkwell mementoes.

Tom.

Attachments

• Paperweight Reg. Design.JPG
    Paperweight Reg. Design.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Paperweight novelty description.JPG
    Paperweight novelty description.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 28
Thanks for the photo Tom.
I picked up an Mills No.5 Inkwell (round base) last month off feebay. As you mentioned, the registration number is the same as in the photo.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Brad

The Registered Design No 651542 of 1915, as also used for the round-based and square-based grenade inkwell mementoes.

Tom.

Rick,

you may be able to tempt me with some of that Arkansas 'shine'. Havnt had a drop since 1980 when i was last in your fine State.

I also agree with your sentiments re grens and collecting such items. I have another No 5 which hase been modified somewhat and although once an original gren, now probably a home guard item and probably unique.

Andy

Thanks for that Rick,

does bring back some memories from around the Fort Smith area. Ticks n chiggers, spiders as big as dustbin lids and the heat, by god the heat. Thank heavens for the moonshine, taken with salt pills n grapefuit juice, chilled of course, up to ones neck in water at midnight at 100F, fully clothed of course, and the 'shine' as smooth as a babies bum. They made me an honourary citizen of Oklahoma and a full Colonel in the National Guard whilst i was there, probably cant vote though.

Bet you are happier now its cooler.

Andy

Don't forget these guys! Another souvenir with a design number.

John

Attachments

• crested china.jpg
    crested china.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 16
Registered Designs

Tom

WOW! Where'd you find THAT?!?! Is that an internet pic or from your library? Great stuff.

Rick

Rick,

It seems just about everything that's ever been considered novel, but not actually patentable, has been the subject of a registered design application. The original papers, as in the paperweight one I photographed, reside in the UK Public Records Office. Grenade casings were also turned into money boxes, and lo and behold, a registered design emerged...

Tom.

Attachments

• Money Box Reg. Design.jpg
    Money Box Reg. Design.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 30
  • Money Box novelty description.JPG
    Money Box novelty description.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Money boxes_1.jpg
    Money boxes_1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 31