What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brass Mills gren

Crested China

I understand that crested china objects were sold to raise money for the war effort. A friend told me that during WWI his grandmother bought a crested china tank (still in the possession of the family) from their bank - proceeds going to buy munitions, probably even a MkI or MkIV tank...

Tom.

crested china

All the crested china objects, grenades, tanks etc.. are in a collectible catagory alone. I have seen fabulous collection of crested china items, and honestly they just blow me away..Dano

It arent quite the same but I loved to have this on onto my office desk.
But as usual: NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING!
I think I will make my own

Cheers
Freaky

Attachments

• Complain.jpg
    Complain.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 18
Hi Tom,
I found this on feebay about a month ago and thought I would post a few photos seeing that you found the original registration documents.

Cheers,
Brad

The Registered Design No 651542 of 1915, as also used for the round-based and square-based grenade inkwell mementoes.

Tom.

Attachments

• Mills No.5 Inkwell (1).jpg
    Mills No.5 Inkwell (1).jpg
    96 KB · Views: 25
  • Mills No.5 Inkwell (2).jpg
    Mills No.5 Inkwell (2).jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Mills Inkwell Base.jpg
    Mills Inkwell Base.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 25
Paperweights and inkwells

Hi Tom,
I found this on feebay about a month ago and thought I would post a few photos seeing that you found the original registration documents.

Cheers,
Brad

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the inkwell images. At least the inkwells have a use - I use mine for storing spare caps and anvils, and other small spares.

Yesterday I obtained a Mills casting paperweight, which is a pure manifestation of the registered design - see images. Its uses really are quite limited.

Tom.

Attachments

• 651542_1.jpg
    651542_1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Paperweight_2.jpg
    Paperweight_2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Paperweight_3.jpg
    Paperweight_3.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 18
Reg. Des. No. 646009

Having posted the registered designs for the "souvenir" items, I thought I'd share a more serious design, that of the earliest Mills bomb and lever configuration.

The first design of lever for the Mills No5 (referred to in Post-WWI legal wrangles as the channel lever) was sometimes stamped with the registered design number 646009 of February-March 1915. The photos show four of my No5s with the stamping, with various degrees of clarity.

Tom.

Attachments

• 646009_1.jpg
    646009_1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 646009_2.jpg
    646009_2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Reg. Des. No. 646009_3.jpg
    Reg. Des. No. 646009_3.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Reg. Des. No. 646009_4.JPG
    Reg. Des. No. 646009_4.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 24
Hi, Heres a New Zealand contribution to the never ending list of grenade money boxes. Cheers Colin

Attachments

• NZ grenade money box 4 BOCN.jpg
    NZ grenade money box 4 BOCN.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 16
Just had a mate look at the brass gren, he's a professional metalworker by the way, and he was very impressed with the quality of this item. He thinks that it was certainly made by an expert engineer, difficult to date but not made recently. I shall certainly keep it in my collection.
Many thanks for all your comments.

Andy

I reckon you are looking at the late 1920's for that one Andy, so 80 ish years old.

John

Hi John,

my mate said 1930s to 50s to produce something of that standard, particularly with the patina of age that it has. Was going to polish it but i reccon it should be left as is. Mind you, if it is recent, then we will see another one on feebay soon!!!

Thanks,

Andy