What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British army current issue training Grenades

kradman

I thought i would show this here out of interest , i will be putting it up for sale soon in the classifieds

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 101
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 81
A hard grenade to price. Have seen them at £30 at fairs and £85 on the internet and many prices in between.

Nice box.

John

A possible word of warning: I remember hearing that the MOD has never officially released any of these as surplus. I was told that they are all classed as stolen property and you can be prosecuted if caught with them.

That's interesting. All those I've seen have been in a used state often with bits missing. The ones that Kradman have look mint.

Hi i brought them last year from a rubbish dump near to where a British army camp was being closed down there was alot of modern items there cleared from the camp i was thinking about £200 for the box of them not sure if thats a fair price as not really my field of interest?

Hi Falcon
If thats the case i will hand them in at a camp near me

I'm not 100% certain on that. I seem to remember hearing it somewhere. If they threw them out on a rubbish dump I would think you would be fine.

I don't know about that.

I was always told to hand stuff in if I didn't or did know the owner. I once found a wallet on a bus stuffed with notes and cards. I handed it in.

The law states:

Theft by finding occurs when someone who chances upon an object which seems abandoned takes possession of the object but fails to take steps to establish whether the object is abandoned and not merely lost or unattended.* In some jurisdictions the crime is called "larceny by finding" or "stealing by finding".

If you put that with Falcon's post #3. It's all about moral decisions.

Last edited:
"Finders keepers, losers weepers"

Not sure how well that argument would work in court. Especially with the gubmint involved.

Bearing in mind that these grenades are said to come "from a rubbish dump near to where a British army camp was being closed down", could an Ammotech on the forum comment on this manner of disposal for such current stores? Would such items not be transferred to another facility?

I don't know about that.

I was always told to hand stuff in if I didn't or did know the owner. I once found a wallet on a bus stuffed with notes and cards. I handed it in.

The law states:

Theft by finding occurs when someone who chances upon an object which seems abandoned takes possession of the object but fails to take steps to establish whether the object is abandoned and not merely lost or unattended.* In some jurisdictions the crime is called "larceny by finding" or "stealing by finding".

If you put that with Falcon's post #3. It's all about moral decisions.

Hi, Just my 2 pence worth but, the grenades where purchased presumably from a local authority recycling center, so the purchaser would then have a reasonable expectation that the seller had authority to sell the item, The question of should it have been available for sale is another matter, the unit leaving the camp should have returned all/any accountable items via the appropriate channels for the type/class of item to be returned. Your average local tip worker would not have much of an idea if the unit or clearance contractor dumped a large amount of various military items which ones should or shouldn't have ended up in his possession. Any fault will lay with the unit or person in charge of the disposal.

I did read a dit in one of the MOD in house magazines that the MOD does not sell surplus rations, that being the case, how come you can find dozens of them on fleabay??
Richard.

Bearing in mind that these grenades are said to come "from a rubbish dump near to where a British army camp was being closed down", could an Ammotech on the forum comment on this manner of disposal for such current stores? Would such items not be transferred to another facility?

I am not an AT but intimately familiar with the process. A unit "closing down" should not dispose of such items in such a cavalier way. There is a process that should have been carried out to return them to depot fr disposal/re-issue. I am being deliberately cryptic with my answer, but read between the lines.

Hi, Just my 2 pence worth but, the grenades where purchased presumably from a local authority recycling center, so the purchaser would then have a reasonable expectation that the seller had authority to sell the item, The question of should it have been available for sale is another matter, the unit leaving the camp should have returned all/any accountable items via the appropriate channels for the type/class of item to be returned. Your average local tip worker would not have much of an idea if the unit or clearance contractor dumped a large amount of various military items which ones should or shouldn't have ended up in his possession. Any fault will lay with the unit or person in charge of the disposal.

I did read a dit in one of the MOD in house magazines that the MOD does not sell surplus rations, that being the case, how come you can find dozens of them on fleabay??
Richard.

Local authority staff are not permitted to accept cash for items dumped at rubbish tips or elsewhere. I lays them way open to corruption. I my experience local authorities no longer allow the public to remove anything from dump sites because a) it would make them vulnerable to claims from the people who did it and b) they now recycle much of what they get so it is cash income for them.

John

A lot of council dumps are run by private contractors now, and anything that can be sold is rather than put into a landfill.

Local authority staff are not permitted to accept cash for items dumped at rubbish tips or elsewhere. I lays them way open to corruption. I my experience local authorities no longer allow the public to remove anything from dump sites because a) it would make them vulnerable to claims from the people who did it and b) they now recycle much of what they get so it is cash income for them.

John

John,

The point I was making was that no theft had taken place as the items had been disposed off by the Unit or MOD Agent, probably in error, poor judgment or that they were negligent in allowing it and yes they should have been returned for proper disposal or reissue. It may well be the case that your local authority does not allow direct sales to the public, but as in my local area and others that I know of the recycling center is/was run by an agent on behalf of the council, I have in the past bought items from the tip, a 2 draw filing cabinet and couple ammo boxes one in Plymouth and one in Tavistock, that was a couple of years ago and the rules may have changed since then.

Richard

The recycling center these were brought from have a selling area as it is a private run site and they make up most of their wages in the selling of items thown away , i have had a number of ammo boxes and shell cases over the years that have been thrown away , i was abit surpised to see these there but was told the local camp had thrown alot of things away when they were clearing the camp .

For everyones peace of mind i will make sure they go back

That may cause you even more problems, as someone will have to investigate MDP CID/Local Police CID or a PCSO how a full box of grenades came to be sold at a tip, reams of reports lots of people getting excited. Press will love it. It will not matter that they are for training and are inert, heads will have to role, grenades will be sent to shoeburyness to be destroyed as the integrity of the grenades has been compromised as they have been in civilian hands.

The recycling center these were brought from have a selling area as it is a private run site and they make up most of their wages in the selling of items thown away , i have had a number of ammo boxes and shell cases over the years that have been thrown away , i was abit surpised to see these there but was told the local camp had thrown alot of things away when they were clearing the camp .

Kradman

You have used the expression 'brought from' twice I think. This is not a clear statement. Did you buy this box or did you bring it home from a dump? Was it found amid other stuff or was it retrieved from a scrap metal bin?

John